Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious. Which Moon Shine lure has produced the best for you while casting the piers ? I like some of the styles the have but am looking for the ones that seem to produce more than others.

I've the got the cleo's and Wobblers already.................. Scooby snacks are a different story.:lol:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Moonshine lures that have worked for me in the past are

Agent orange in the ko style for steelhead
Green on one side and orange on the other side (Original moonshine casting spoon that is no longer made) If you can get it BUY IT send it to me, do what you have to do just don't let it go to waste

bloody nose in all sizes.

My father in law KILLED the kings on the 1 oz glow perch in the holland channel last fall after the sun came up. (ie in the dirty water)

I am going to be giving them more water time this year so I will keep you updated.

I know some guys around holland have had luck on the 3/4 oz jigging spoons casting them and letting them sink and rollin them on the bottom at a very slow slow retrieve.

On the same note, I know guys that would never throw them. I guess its a matter of of what has worked for you in the past.

Check out there website www.moonshinelures.com for all the colors.

They have some new colors out this year in happy meal, blue lemon, and atomic watermelon that I am going to try as soon as the kings show up.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Got your PM...............will keep an eye out for them in my wanderings.;)

Come on now ..............68 hits and only one response. What's Dave, the only hardcore pier man here:16suspect come on chime in. I'm interested in what you other guy's have to say.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not a fan of these spoons. They are just generic spoon blanks from Stamina Inc. painted with moonshine patterns. To me it's 60% size/action and 40% color/paint that makes a good salmon spoon. If I had to pick one, I would go with the 5/8 wobblers.

But I'll take a Wolverine Cobra or Wolverine CJ Wobbler any time over a Moonshine...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I personally have not caught any fish on my moonshines. I also don't give them much time in the water. They only go on when nothing else is working. I have a bloody nose and one that looks like firetiger, I don't know what it is called. I was told by an old-timer that they tend to work better when the water is stained.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Okay,

I tried to hold my tongue, tried to keep out of this, mama even told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say...but you insisted:

I jumped on the moonshine bandwagon two years ago. I bought the big 1 oz. spoons as well as the pier casting spoons, in tons of cool colors and shapes. Honestly however, they don't produce. There are only 2 other spoons in my tackle box that I've cast more than I do my moonshines - the KO Wobbler & the 5-eyed cleo. In the past 2 years of casting, I've only caught one fish EVER on the moonshine lures...and that was a spring brown on an agent orange.

So my lack of success is not from lack of trying. I like the fact that these lures stay "charged" longer than the others...but there are a few things I dislike about them.

1. They glow TOO much. I've commented more than once that the light they produce looks like I'm pulling in a lantern. Most lures "glow"...moonshine lures "shine". I feel that this frightens the fish...keeps them from biting. The glow spoons work because the fish think they are seeing the flasing side of a baitfish. Nothing in the Great Lakes that fish wants to eat will give off 2 million candle power of light. Moonshines do!

2. My second problem with moonshine lures is that they chip very easily. The brown I caught not only left teeth marks, which is normal, he took off a chip of paint nearly 1/3 of the size of the spoon itself. Since then I've noticed that if you bump your spoon against any rocks, if it clinks against any other spoon in your box, or even if you drag it across a sandy bottom, you'd better check it for lost paint. The paint is definitely put on the spoon thick, it doesn't wear off...it chips off in huge chunks.

Maybe I got a bad batch...maybe I've just been unlucky, but I currently have no confidence in them.

(My apology & nothin personal Mr. Pro-staffer!)

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
There are only 2 other spoons in my tackle box that I've cast more than I do my moonshines - the KO Wobbler & the 5-eyed cleo.
I've never use Moonshines so I can't give a comparison. Having said that, KO's and 5-Eyed Cleo's are the only spoons I use for pier salmon. Once in a while I'll throw a Baramondi Mauler or a J-13 Rapala for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
623 Posts
some people swear by them and other swear at them. I swear by them. That's my favorite spoon in the day or night. I like the flounder (blue) and the founder pounder (green). Two nights ago I caught two small kings out of port sheldon both on blue flounder. They have been by far the most productive spoon in my 150 or so collection. I will say I think they go through the water nice behind my boat and that's why they work so well for me. By the way, my fly's and silver hordes haven't been hitting at all this year yet.

Ed

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Brings up an interesting thought though, In my experience Moonshine is the best thing since sliced bread in the "low light" trolling world. Yet a flop with pier fishermen, why do you suppose that is?

Mitch

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few years back I did see some locals throwing the full sized ones on the pier in Manistee and doing okay with them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Brings up an interesting thought though, In my experience Moonshine is the best thing since sliced bread in the "low light" trolling world. Yet a flop with pier fishermen, why do you suppose that is?

Mitch

The action. Their trolling spoon blanks are different than the casting blanks. Think about this, when you troll, you cover water a lot quicker than when you pier fish. When you pier fish, you want the lure in the strike zone for as long as possible....ie, slower retrieve and the strike zone is defined. When trolling, your riggers, planning devices, leadcore get it in the strike zone and speed creates the action. When pier fishing, in order to keep the lure in the strike zone, you need to retrieve at a certain rate and how does that rate affect the action of that casting spoon. I personally think it's more of an action issue vs. a pattern/glow issue. Although you can have too much glow at times. Not saying I'm right or wrong.....just something to think about.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love the glow, but I only have them in the 1oz casting version, and to be honest, i can throw a 3/4 oz cleo or ko so much further (they catch too much wind) that I havent used them much unless nothing else is working. Tried finding some of the smaller k/o style to try, just havent found any around me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Agent Orange (steelies & cohos), bloody nose, and what ever the half blue and glow one is (anchovy?) for kings. All in the KO style. Never caught anything on the others.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
bobcolenso said:
Once in a while I'll throw a Baramondi Mauler or a J-13 Rapala for grins and giggles.
Try a S-L-O-W troll flatlining with either one of those two during "harbor patrol". Oh.... and make sure you have good rod holders!! :D :yikes:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Keep up the feedback, good and bad guys... I will be sending it to the moonshine owner next time i send him feedback on the spoons I am testing for him.
They are always willing to take a look at feedback for ways to improve spoons

·
Registered
31 Posts
I caught some Kings last fall on a Moonshine (not sure the name, but it glows blue and has a black dot & fin marks on it) when others weren't catching, but I haven't given them enough time yet to say it wasn't just luck or a fluke.

Haven't had any trouble with the paint chipping. In fact, I had a couple middle schoolers out with me, and they tore up a few cleo's but the Moonshines bounced off the concrete without a scratch.

I like how long they glow, but as others have said, sometimes it seems like too much. Probably perfect for murkier conditions, but we'll see this fall...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have ALWAYS been a big supporter of Moonshine, ever since I started casting them off the piers 3 years ago, but then something happend.....

I realized I was hyping up something that just didn't produce anything. I went out to a WSP 2 years ago for the fall salmon run numerous times and did great with Agent Orange 1oz, but not even a hit on the perch, red/white with black dots, and the same in blue. (sorry, don't know what they're called).

I started buying every color and every size and talked them up to everyone who even mentioned "Moonshine" on the piers. I can honestly say I have not caught a fish on Moonshine casting spoons in 2 years now.... NOTHING! And the funny thing is, I still give them there fair shot every single time I go pier fishing, which is usually 2 or 3 times a week, and STILL nothing all this time, and all these opportunities for them to prove something to me once again.

But you know what? I still will not give up on them, because now I think it's more of challenge just for me to be able to say "yeah, got one on my agent orange moonshine this mornin', how bout you?" And his/her reply might be something like this "REALLY, no way! I haven't seen or heard of anyone catching anything on them in a long time" :dizzy: Ahhhhhh, guess I can keep tryin'..... I will update with a post if this ever does happen again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
been fishing alot with moonshines from a boat.... double trouble has ALOT of problems... been catching alot fish but with the back side paint chipping badly. great spoon though

1 - 20 of 37 Posts