Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had been fishing the Flint River for eyes yet and if so have the had any luck? If the weather stays warm it may get great just before the season ends like it did a few years ago. I believe it was 2000 or 2001 you could catch a bunch of walleye anywhere on the river they were in there soooo thick right before the season closed.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I haven't heard much yet, but expect to soon...I may get out there and try it. Been fishing my side of flint 2 times so far with nothing to show for it, other than giving my river gear the once-over.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I live a few miles from the river and I think next week will see an improvement in fishing the river. I drove by the river yesterday and there is still ice near both shorelines. Near downtown Flushing anyways.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
HEAVYSHOT - You talking about that spot where A Guy has to walk 500 miles to fish :D ? We'll have to check out SSX if the water is down. You gonna sign up for the Flushing Walleye Gig ? Boy I sure hope The water comes down before the close - that would be awsome. Bob WC#253.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Heavyshot - Fished for acouple of hours yesterday - Downtown Flushing. The water is flowing pretty hard - tried hitting the "pocket" water, anything that created a current break. Just seemed good to be out casting, not sitting in My Trap! Water is quite clear suprizingly. Threw a variaty of Cranks with no results - won't be long. Hope We don't get any heavy rains beforre the Flushing gig - could be like a few Years ago !!!! Give Me a call, if You want to fish one these days- prefishing for the Tourny. Bob

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
stopped at the river where it crosses Mt. Morris road, no-one fishin and it looked to be flowing pretty good. Can't be much longer, I'll say the next week or so it'll be on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One guy I work with has a secret hole there in Montrose that holds walleyes all year round and they caught 11 last weekend don't know if they were catching the locals or the fish running the river but I know I am going to give it a try this weekend

·
Registered
322 Posts
I plan on giving it a try Friday evening. I'll post if I get into anything. The easiest way to find out if there are fish in the river is to walk 200 yards north of the bridge in Montrose. If there are fish, you'll see Flint's finest snagging fish and running them up to the guy's house that lives up the road. I can't even stomach walking down there anymore.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Robin - Remmember, there is still a RAP line or keep the local CO's nomber handy. With most everyone carrying a cell phone, REPORT THEM! They are stealing fish from You and I, and anyone else that buys a fishing or hunting lisence. Poaching is poaching, the snagging of these fine fish MUST STOP ! Anyone reading this post, please stop fishing the Flint with these "stinger" rigs - blatant snagging! Thanks for the soap box - Bob WC#253.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have lived in Flushing for almost 30 years and have been fishing the Flint for almost that long. What a jewel we have and its right in our back yard. 100% turn around from what it used to be. To find a way to get the river to the next level would be great. Pains me to read when we still have spills or to see people leave behind their trash. As for the folks at the hole in Montrose, I carry my cell all the time and I would not hesitate to make that call. These guys are not sportsmen. They care not what their actions bring nor should we when they break the law and get caught. Sorry, just the way I feel. My son and I spent a few hours Sunday poking around on the river. Water had not reached todays levels so it was not to bad. Had no luck pitching crank baits but with this push of fresh water there will be fish there, Downtown has ledge ice in spots and some other areas as well but they will soon be gone. The walleye gig is in full swing for the 12-13-14. Nice prizes lined up and there should be door prizes drawn to more than off set the entry fee. Trout pond will be a killer this year for the kids. Over 150 trout some tagged for prizes and a few big boys around 2-2.5 pounds. What a thrill for the kids. Should be a hoot!!!!! Will post again once the water level lowers. DC

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Dreamcatcher - I've lived in Flushing all My life (51 yrs.), I agree it is a great turn around. Bet We probably know each other, or atleast crossed paths fishin' for Smallies :)! I'll be carrying a cell phone, and I encourage anyone else - if You see anyone snagging Walleyes, RAP them. There is no excuse for taking these fish in this manner! Time to be rid of these SLOBS. Bob WC#253.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Anyone of you own the blue Dodge pickup that was parked at the cemetary yesterday. I was the one the asked if you were catching anything.

I drove by the pub and three car parked there but only saw 1 guy fishing. Cemetary had two trucks. Then drove up into Birch Run and to my suprise only one van was there. Came down Mckinley on the way home and talked to two other people that said they didn't even get a bite.

Hopefully those fish are on their way.:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
chamookman & redwinger00--- Sounds like we all are neighbors. If you are planning on being down at the walleye gig in Flushing look me up. I will be one of the guys doing the weight ins each night. The better looking one!!!!!! Might be fun to compare notes and tip a few brews. DZtaxidermy will be there as well. My son and I use our fly rods for the smallies and that is a blast on top water flies. The Flint keeps getting better little by little. No it was not me with the blue truck but am familiar with the spots you talked about. I still think that with this flush of water latley we are going to start finding fresh pods of holding fish real soon. Will be out this week -end poking around. I hope the current will have slowed up a little by then. Will let you know what I find. GooooooooooooooWings. Dream Catcher.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Holloway dam is still just a fast trickle (lot of ice up there), but the river is up a good 8-12 inches since monday, no suprise there, very few fish caught at the dam so far. Mott lake river channel is open for half the lake, and downstream to downtown is running very high. I'll have to take a smoke break and see how fast the dam is running at harrison st. We are still sending a lot of water your way guys....hope it comes down a little for the last week of fishing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can tell how fast and how high the river is just using you computer. Just go to www.usgs.gov they will tell you how high and how fast any river is in the state for the most part. I always look at it before I go to the flint river especially in the summer after a big rain I usuallly don't even waste my time in the summer if it is over 4-5 feet where they take the measurement there in Flint.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Heavyshot-Scottyhoover-Hey guys thanks for the info. Took a look at the river last night and she is flowing pretty good right now. Give a shout if you make it to the Flushing gig. Maybe we can setup a smallie outting when the season opens up. There seems to be more of us fishing the flint than I thought!!! Later-
Dream Catcher

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Dreamcatcher - I thought I was the only one on My Favorite Smally River :) ! One of the best kept secrets around - SHHHHHHHH . Found another "sleeper" last Fall, will fill You in at the Flushing Walleye Festival ! Don't need any more rain, gotta get that River DOWN. Hope to fish some this weekend. This weather has Me itching to get the boat out!!!! Bob.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was down to the river tonight. The shape of the river reminds me of the tournament last year- high, muddy water. With 2 more days of rain to come, I'm not holding my breath for next weekend. I'll still enter and buy the pin, but after the past 2 years of almost nobody catching fish, I'm not expecting much. We needed this weather 3-4 weeks ago. I honestly saw more walleye caught last year on the Pine R. while sucker fishing (3) than I have the last 2 years during the tourney (0). I was really hoping to have the boat on the Saginaw R. before the season closed, but it's now meant to be.
As far as the hole in Montrose goes, I just stopped going down there. I have meantioned it twice to COs and have given directions, but I have never heard of anything happening.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chamook, Ok I'll buy the donuts if you don't give away our new smallie spot. ;) Bob once we get a few trips in this year we'll invite a few there for an outing and a little friendly competition. Just kidding guys your all welcome to the areas best smallie water. Can you say rod jarring strikes. Just getting too excited. :) Will try to get the long rods out this weekend if weather lets us. BAYDOG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts