Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Is Michigan public land viable for hunting mature bucks (4.5yrs or older)

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
This will be my 20th deer season in Michigan and probably my last.. Wondering if anybody has bow hunted for deer in island lake state park?? Not looking for your secret spots and what not.. Any tips, pointers, experiences at the park would be great. Info that could help anyone interested in hunting Island lake.
The deer are managed horribly here and the majority of hunters shoot immature bucks. I've talked to michaganders that hunt public outa state and its been described like hunting private in Michigan or "like shooting fish in a barrel". One guy showed me several pics he took during a hunt on a dnr planted field (think it was Kansas) with five 120+ inch bucks in the daylight. I feel I'm better off spending my deer hunting $ outa state..

#2 ·
I’ve been there a few times and saw mostly does. I did see one buck, probably a small 6 or 8pt, cross the main road going thru the park a few years ago. I’ve seen a few ribs but not much else. I haven’t really invested too much time into scouting there but I’m sure there are some good bucks out there.

#6 ·
This will be my 20th deer season in Michigan and probably my last.. Wondering if anybody has bow hunted for deer in island lake state park?? Not looking for your secret spots and what not.. Any tips, pointers, experiences at the park would be great. Info that could help anyone interested in hunting Island lake.
The deer are managed horribly here and the majority of hunters shoot immature bucks. I've talked to michaganders that hunt public outa state and its been described like hunting private in Michigan or "like shooting fish in a barrel". One guy showed me several pics he took during a hunt on a dnr planted field (think it was Kansas) with five 120+ inch bucks in the daylight. I feel I'm better off spending my deer hunting $ outa state..
What's with the title of your thread?

#9 ·
Some people watch too much tv. I've hunted private land in MI and out of state my whole life. Never has it been like shooting fish in a barrel. Why would anyone want it to be. Smells like troll.
Agreed. Closing this thread. He was in a real hurry to get his account verified as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.