Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cancelled today's perch trip due to anticipated wave conditions with the forecasted NE and E winds of 15-20. Just wondering if anyone out today could comment on wave conditions- thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Yeah, not in my 16 footer.....Not to mention I'd be tossing my cookies in that! Lol.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was out and after 1pm it was definitely rough. Quit fishing early had solid 4's coming in with some 5's thrown in for fun.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I left SSP at about 9:15, would estimate waves at 2 footers for the ride out and the wind and waves continued to build from there.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
My buddy out of Port Clinton scrubbed his charters for weekend due to conditions.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I just looked at the photos from the BASS event out of Sandusky today. Looked like a rough one out there! Leader has a 25# basket. Top 19 anglers are over 20# so the bite was good for the guys on fish. The weigh in photos showed a lot of wet anglers that looked whipped. The photographer even got an on water group of photos of a co-angler trying to land a fish and leaned over the back of the boat just a little too much. Next photo shows him in the drink! His angler calmly set his rod down (with a fish on) and helped his co back onto the boat, made sure he was calm and then went up front and finished reeling in his bass! And they were fishing in a Ranger 620. Yikes, I bet a few of those guys are going to want to sleep in tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I just looked at the photos from the BASS event out of Sandusky today. Looked like a rough one out there! Leader has a 25# basket. Top 19 anglers are over 20# so the bite was good for the guys on fish. The weigh in photos showed a lot of wet anglers that looked whipped. The photographer even got an on water group of photos of a co-angler trying to land a fish and leaned over the back of the boat just a little too much. Next photo shows him in the drink! His angler calmly set his rod down (with a fish on) and helped his co back onto the boat, made sure he was calm and then went up front and finished reeling in his bass! And they were fishing in a Ranger 620. Yikes, I bet a few of those guys are going to want to sleep in tomorrow.

I know I am now....Pulled the plug on tomorrows trip. Talked to a couple guys down there today and they said it was brutal. Wind isn't forecast to lay down or change vector tonight, so I have no reason to think tomorrow will be any different

Going to hit anchor bay up for a few hrs instead.... at least I can get my fish on!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Waves were 1-2 foot all morning by my estimate and the weather buoy off of Oregon, ohio confirmed this. Most people drastically overestimate the size of waves, there were certainly no 4 footers and nothing that even resembled a 5 foot wave.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Waves were 1-2 foot all morning by my estimate and the weather buoy off of Oregon, ohio confirmed this. Most people drastically overestimate the size of waves, there were certainly no 4 footers and nothing that even resembled a 5 foot wave.
If you were talking about yesterday, you are drastically under estimating at 1-2 foot in the afternoon. Most people at the dock thought 4's were conservative.
I agree 1-2 in the AM, but they at least doubled in the pm. Wind gusts hit 19 kts east yesterday afternoon in Monroe. I wasn't in Oregon so I can't comment on the conditions there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you were talking about yesterday, you are drastically under estimating at 1-2 foot in the afternoon. Most people at the dock thought 4's were conservative.
I agree 1-2 in the AM, but they at least doubled in the pm. Wind gusts hit 19 kts east yesterday afternoon in Monroe. I wasn't in Oregon so I can't comment on the conditions there.
You got that right I was out Thrus. and on the way out it was 2 to 3's and coming back 4 to 5's easy. But the fishing was good out in 27'. Ended up with 50 with quite a few over 10"

·
Registered
444 Posts
Part of the problem with wave estimates is the knowledge of a transverse wave. The bouy reports a 2' wave, but to the public it is a 4' wave. Scientifically a 2' wave is 2' above absolute rest, but the trough is 2' below rest. Looking at a wave we see the crest height to the bottom of the trough and that is 4'. So a reported 3' wave looks 6' to us out on the lake. So the reports are actually half of what they look like to us. So technically you are both right.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Anyone out today? Wondering how bad it is today, Windyty is showing 15 out of the southeast but there is no wind in canton right now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts