Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Sunday afternoon with my buddy in a maria south of Monroe for crappie and caught 22 on wiggler jigs under a bobber. It was not fast fishing but the majority of them where 10 inches plus, up to 14! All of the fish were tight to big metal dock support poles about 30 inches down. Check out the wiggler jigs at http://www.fishwithjimoutfitters.com.

Jim

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
if your talking about the same marina Jim they kicked me out of there 2 weeks ago and told me they changed the rules and no one was aloud to fish in there anymore....

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
if your talking about the same marina Jim they kicked me out of there 2 weeks ago and told me they changed the rules and no one was aloud to fish in there anymore....

Aloud= Allowed.............someone needs schooling

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If you can get there by boat there is not anything they can do as long as you are not impeding traffic into and out of the marina. but you cant tie up to their docks and get out of your boat.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you can get there by boat there is not anything they can do as long as you are not impeding traffic into and out of the marina. but you cant tie up to their docks and get out of your boat.
inside their property boundries, lol!!! Ya think???? All three of the marinas that I know of south of Monroe are private property. They can charge you with trespass. But I promise he's not by boat, but walking in and fishing off the docks. either way, if they tell you they don't want you, stay out!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only reason why they were throwing people out of the marina is because there were boats in the water and some of our finest fisherman were pushing boats away from docks and fishing next to them. To be sure that you are able to fish in the marina, one needs to check in with (a) a security guard or (b) the marina office. I have had no issues with fishing in there at all! In fact, I fished in the marina the very day that Ryan was kicked out with no issues. There are many other places to check out for crappie that are around Monroe, like the pump house at Sterling, the docks at Bolles Harbor and even the lower end of the River Raisin, there are slab crappie everywhere there is structure!

Good luck guys
Jim

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Thats amazing to me Jimmy! I talked with the guard and was very curtious and he said that the owners weren't allowing any fishing PERIOD. I was amazed since I've never had a problem in the 4 years I've been in the marina. I guess you just have to know the right people huh jimmy?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If I'm in there by boat and not touching another boat or a dock and someone tells me to get out, I'd tell him that either he needs to call the police so we can settle this like grown-ups, or I'll pull mine out and call the Police for harassment. The water is public and if you aren't touching any private property, I wouldn't put up with anyone telling me to get out. Now if you're grabbing boats, tieing up to poles, etc then you are in the wrong.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thats what I thought. All waterways were public and if your not touching a dock you were OK. I wish I could find out for sure. Something written?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Thats what I thought. All waterways were public and if your not touching a dock you were OK. I wish I could find out for sure. Something written?
There is an old law on the books concerning rivers in Michigan. If a log was ever floated down it for logging then the waterway is open to public use even if someone owns the property on both sides of the river. You cannot touch land though. As for lakes or Marina's the water itself may be public even if they own the surrounding property. Where the interpretation of the law gets interesting is ownership of the land under the water. They can own that and once you set foot on bottom or drop an anchor you are trespassing. There have been numerous cases in court about the waterway trespassing law because of people metal detecting in the water and where docks are placed.

Bottom line..ask first, don't assume and ask yourself if a few crappie are really worth it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Found an interesting article. Would be curious to know if this Marina was dredged and dug out to be a Marina or if it was naturally there and then docks were built. If the property was bought and dug out by the Marina owners they probably own the bottom. If they ask you leave I would probably leave. Is it really worth getting a misdemeanor trespassing charge and a criminal history for some crappie? Guess that's up to you to decide.

Is it posted private property or is is just on the shoreline of the lake?

This article pertains to inland lakes but still interesting.

http://www.oaklandlakefront.com/1ed...=2000-01-02&-token.story=3758.111215&-nothing

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I fish the marinas back in behind Bolles and Luna Pier and have never had any problems.....WHEN IN A BOAT!
The one marina behind Bolles gave me permission to park and fish years ago(RY GUY KNOWS WHERE) but since it was sold, I do not know who I would ask yet.
I used to fish Toledo Beach years ago when Dad had his boat there and they frowned on shore fishing but looked the otherway when Dad was there. I understand their concern about theft and littering etc. I wouldnt want people wandering around my boat if still in the water.

I guess if you are in a boat and NOT touching their docks or property, you would be safe and if someone yelled at me, I'd call the DNR myself and get it resolved.

I also ice fish back in there and enter from the state area and have never had a problem. Just PLEASE pick up after yourself!

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Seems to me you can tell them to go get lost I dont see how they can own the water if the marina is on a public lake.I ice fish some marinas down on lake st clair which are private but as long as you enter from the ice off the river theres nothing they can do except bubble it and make it unsafe for people to traverse the ice.It would be the same if you enter this marina with your boat by water.As long as you dont get on the docks or land inside the marina theres nothing they can do.They dOnt own the lake or the rights to the water just the land around it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They bubble the docks to keep ice from freezing around the dock poles, when the ice holds the dock poles and the water level rises in the lake due to east wind, up comes the dock. When some ice fishermen falls in guess who gets named in the law suit. When you are fishing within a marina and your boat stalls and you crash in to somebodys nice yacht do you think your ins. co would like to cover the cost. Just give the marina watchdog something to smoke and all is well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts