Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to respool my rigger reels, I’ve used Big Game in the past. What does everyone else use?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
You can't go wrong with 20# Ande. Only a couple bucks more than Trilene Big Game and it has superior knot strength.

Reactions: SJC

·
Registered
616 Posts
20# Big Game Ande for the Salmonids.
I'm going to try and target some Whitefish on Lake Huron this spring. I plan on using 6# Ande on those two reels.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I run a lot of 20# Big Game on my boat. Ande is good but pound for pound a little larger in diameter than BG and seems to have a little more blowback when fishing deep.

Just ordered a bunch of clearance priced Yozuri Hybrid line yesterday through a vendor to give a try this season. They also had clearance pricing on their remaining inventory of Gamakatsu and Owner hooks I like. But it's all gone now

·
Registered
366 Posts
I run a lot of 20# Big Game on my boat. Ande is good but pound for pound a little larger in diameter than BG and seems to have a little more blowback when fishing deep.

Just ordered a bunch of clearance priced Yozuri Hybrid line yesterday through a vendor to give a try this season. They also had clearance pricing on their remaining inventory of Gamakatsu and Owner hooks I like. But it's all gone now
Ran that last summer as a leader on my cores and coppers and had zero issues with it. My buddy and I also run it in 8 and 10 lb for steelhead in the rivers and it performs just as good as the straight flourocarbon.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Have ran big game for the better part of 10 years. I’ve never had any issues with it. Two years ago I switched to ande mainly from the hype about it on here and honestly couldn’t tell a difference other than the big game feels “stiffer”? IMO whatever you can get cheaper run it, their both good lines imo

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
20lb Stren Hi Impact

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have to wonder how many companies actually make their own monofilament. Kind of like how some big name outboards are rebranded and Great Value peanut butter is Peter Pan.

Guessing that Cabelas doesn't actually make their own line, same with other generic brands. Who knows - that cheap blue line at Kmart might come off the same production line as Ande or Maxima LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
30lb Big Game. Works great. Is cheap so helps you replace it when you should. 30lb is large enough to shed sea fleas pretty well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts