Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 braid line counters and 1 mono line counter. I think I am going to eliminate the mono and switch over to braid on all 3. Mainly, for when I fish Lake MI for salmon. This way I can get better depth and more capacity with my third rod in which I run a 1lb ball. (no, I don't use downriggers)

I also walleye/pike fish, so I would have no mono presentation for those fish or the salmon for that matter. However based on my catch data, I can't say the braid accounts for less bites, even when tied directly to the lure with no leader. Therefore I can't think of a good reson to keep the mono setup.

Before I make the switch, just looking for opinions on why or why not to keep the mono. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
well i would say go for it unless you want a setup that will not run as deep when you are fishing for pike and walleye but i love braid so i would switch

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I use the Spiderwire braid for my Dipsys, but IMHO braids do NOT belong on the downriggers. Braids no stretch characteristics, that make it fantastic for Dipsys, is just the reason I don't run it on the downriggers. Even when using braid on the Dipsys, I use mono and a snubber on the lure side of the Dipsy. Using braid with the one pound balls will probably work fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts