Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out last night for the first time since opening weekend and had a little buck come by at 6pm. Stopped and worked over one of my wicks right in front of me, stepped out and gave me a broadside at about 10yds. I wanted to get Molly, my BMH pup some real life experience this season. Good news: Shot went well and got both lungs and top of the heart. Too good if that is an possible in bow hunting. Went 40yds and fell over.

I drug it another 100yds or so to give her a little more challenge and she took me right to him. Hoping someday this pays off on a pour hit giant or a rained out shot.

This one was shot with my Rocky Mountain Recurve.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Got out last night for the first time since opening weekend and had a little buck come by at 6pm. Stopped and worked over one of my wicks right in front of me, stepped out and gave me a broadside at about 10yds. I wanted to get Molly, my BMH pup some real life experience this season. Good news: Shot went well and got both lungs and top of the heart. Too good if that is an possible in bow hunting. Went 40yds and fell over.

I drug it another 100yds or so to give her a little more challenge and she took me right to him. Hoping someday this pays off on a pour hit giant or a rained out shot.

This one was shot with my Rocky Mountain Recurve.
Congrats ! Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Awesome shot and great story! Just curious, what's the breed of your dog? BMH.....probably heard of it but the initials aren't registering with me.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slug Gunner - she is a Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound so you may have never heard of them unless you are obsessed with blood tracking breeds. They are the bench mark breed for trailing wounded game in Europe but not many of them in the states.

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
Great job for Molly. Trailing deer can be as exciting as hunting. My wife and her dog love tracking! Have you done much training? My wife did a little but mostly just took the dog on average recoveries. Our new dog is probably going to need some training on how to put together a trail, especially since I am the only one in the family that bow hunts more than a couple times a year. Our extended family use to shoot 20+ deer a year so starting a dog was just a matter of taking them with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts