Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen posts in past years where guys discuss how they modify the hooks on these baits. I was wondering if anyone had photos or could describe what and how to properly modify a jigging Rapala?

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
I personally like more distance between rap and hook points... a split ring to attach a size larger hook is the way I do it.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
You either add a larger treble hook. Some like the red hooks. You can put extensions on your trebles to drop them down further from body to get better hook ups imo. Some people cut front and back hooks off, but I think they catch fish so I leave mine on.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I just go one size up on treble and use red hooks. I do not cut off end hooks like some. Too many fish caught on those hooks. No stinger either.

·
Premium Member
29,586 Posts
I have seen posts in past years where guys discuss how they modify the hooks on these baits. I was wondering if anyone had photos or could describe what and how to properly modify a jigging Rapala?
I know some who take the center hook off, and put one of those snap on stinger hooks so it hangs lower similar to the one posted. I don't use them, but have in past, pinched the barn down on rear hook, and slid a treble over it. Then heat with lighter and bend down against the lure. Hang minnow horizontal from both hooks. It will be parallel to rap, and look like 2 minnows swimming together.:)

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
i've always went one size bigger on the treble.last year i bought those extentions but did not like them.made the treble catch on the lures back while jigging.i don't use stingers on rapala but do on a jig..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just use Puppet Minnows by Northland, Better colors and I have a better hook-up rate out of the box compared to Jiggin raps.

I never had much luck with changing out hooks on the raps, always seem to tangle up on the drop unless you let it down super slow. Maybe it's just me. Oh, also I cut off the front hook on the raps, dont snag the ice while trying to get em up the hole

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just go one size up on treble and use red hooks. I do not cut off end hooks like some. Too many fish caught on those hooks. No stinger either.

Same for me. I will bend the hook points out a very tiny bit also. I have had a LOT of fish caught on the end hooks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with wacknstack. Northland puppet minnows have a good color selection. What I really like about them are the red eyes. A lot of times I can use the same jig as the guy next to me except mine has red yes and get the fish to go. They are also about 2 dollars cheaper than raps

·
Registered
175 Posts
I personally like more distance between rap and hook points... a split ring to attach a size larger hook is the way I do it.
:yeahthat:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts