Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for making a mock scrape. Is this an effective tactic? Does it work in the early bow season, or more for the rut?

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Nice post! I was thinking the same thing today about asking about mock scrapes. I am sure we'll gets tons of great replies :)

Well, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for making a mock scrape. Is this an effective tactic? Does it work in the early bow season, or more for the rut?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I keep a couple open in the U.P. starting in late April early May. I had bucks visiting it all summer. I really believe in using them. I do not use rut products untill late October.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would recommend reviewing the literature and/or dvd's on mock scrapes, as that is one lengthy subject. Mock scrapes can be effective throughout the season, but it depends on many variables- my two cents.

·
Administrator
35,954 Posts
Putting licking branches where I want the scrape to be or at least busting and leaving a small part of a branch and leaving it hanging the way the bucks like it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Putting licking branches where I want the scrape to be or at least busting and leaving a small part of a branch and leaving it hanging the way the bucks like it.
I failed to mention that in my previous post, I ALWAYS use a licking branch over my scrapes. I use a gel on the licking branch and a synthetic in the scrape.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I made 1 Thursday early afternoon. Used my foot(rubber boots) to scrape away weeds and grass. Looked around and found a stick about an inch in diameter and used it to loosen up the dirt. Didn't have any doe urine so I peed in the center of the mock scrape then took the same stick I used before and gentley rolled it through the moist dirt to give it some oder and beat the branch right above the scrape to make it look like a licking branch. Two days later I check the camera and had 15 pics on it. It seems 2 different bucks fell in love with my scrape. Neither are huge but it definatly brought them in.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Our Scrapes..

Actually this year I was going to set the scrape up this weekend but the deer beat me to it.. Every year we lay a scrape in the same spot in one of our plots and walked in the other day to check trail cams and they already started it..

At any rate find the tree you want to put it under that has a branch hanging over it about 6-7 ft high..

We will find a stick to use to clear the ground pretty much down to bare dirt and to start the scrape if it is not active already we will use a bottle of Buckfever Synthetics and for the first application use about 1/4 bottle of the pre/post rut and then we will break a small branch or two above the scrape and spray about 8-10 pumps on the first application of Buck Feer Synthetics F Gland spray on the licking branches..

We are not sponsored by or anything I just like their products.. with rain the synthetics reactivate themselves which is an added bonus...

Maintaining the scrape we usually 10-15 drops once a week until about the last week of October and then we switch to the Rut blend and then continue the same maintenence however we do it as often as we can or everytime it gets hit..

This is the old Hawgs Limited product and is now called Buck Fever Synthetics...

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I picked up a bottle of f-gland and the pre/post rut and made a few scrapes, got some doe pictures in one of the scrapes so far and two four pointers that did not come in to the scrape all the way or work it over. So far not real impressed but will keep a open mind and try some more. Just moved the camera to another area yesterday, we'll see what happens. This stuff does not smell like any other products I have tried before, but like I said I'll give it a honest try before going back to something else.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Our Scrapes..

Actually this year I was going to set the scrape up this weekend but the deer beat me to it.. Every year we lay a scrape in the same spot in one of our plots and walked in the other day to check trail cams and they already started it..

At any rate find the tree you want to put it under that has a branch hanging over it about 6-7 ft high..

We will find a stick to use to clear the ground pretty much down to bare dirt and to start the scrape if it is not active already we will use a bottle of Buckfever Synthetics and for the first application use about 1/4 bottle of the pre/post rut and then we will break a small branch or two above the scrape and spray about 8-10 pumps on the first application of Buck Feer Synthetics F Gland spray on the licking branches..

We are not sponsored by or anything I just like their products.. with rain the synthetics reactivate themselves which is an added bonus...

Maintaining the scrape we usually 10-15 drops once a week until about the last week of October and then we switch to the Rut blend and then continue the same maintenence however we do it as often as we can or everytime it gets hit..

This is the old Hawgs Limited product and is now called Buck Fever Synthetics...

Hope this helps!
Hawg's is the stufff!!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I failed to mention that in my previous post, I ALWAYS use a licking branch over my scrapes. I use a gel on the licking branch and a synthetic in the scrape.
True...if there's no licking brach...it's not a scrape...it's a pawing.

I find it funny that many people claim to find scrapes every where, yet when you go to take a look at them, they are just pawing. Most are scratchings made by animals trying to get at some food.

I have a really hard time finding scrapes in my neck of the woods and yet some people find hundreds a year around here...I laugh everytime I hear that too. I'm lucky to find 5 scrapes a year up here if that and I'm in the woods more than the average Joe.

Downstate, that's a whole different ball game. I used to find big scrapes in early September down there and I've even came across some earlier yet.

My only advice when making mock scrapes though, is to use all forms of scent control to your advantage including gloves. Don't go out to make any if there's a chance you'll be sweating too. Then after they're complete, don't go in to check them every day. Too many people think that they can go tromp around their hunting property whenever they want and it works more against them than helps them. I would go into to a spot to hunt and make the scrape right then and there and hunt the rest of the evening. Come back a week or so later and hunt it.

This brings up a good point about a deers nose too. I relate it to trapping K9's. Both K9's and deer have an incredible sense of smell....up to 10,000 times that of a human. When trapping K9's one must keep their traps as scent free as possible and then be very careful not to leave too much human scent at the trap site. Soooo many times will a trapper do his best not to leave behind scent, but that trap may not produce a fox or coyote for up to a few weeks. Many people belive that it is due to small molecules of human scent lingering at the set....even though the set is "on location." Believe me, it gets discouraging checking a K9 trap at 200-500 yards through binoculars and not having anything waiting for you after a week or two of trapping. Same goes for mock scrapes. They may be on location, but there's just too much scent lingering. It seems that those traps are filled though after that human scent is washed away or completely disperses.

One more thing, don't use a rake on a scrpae thats been sitting in the garage getting all kinds of oil or fumes on it....or one that was used to spread manure in the garden....or one that was used to.............well, you get the drift.

Read some trapping books and you'll learn a lot about becoming scent cautious when deer hunting. Am I always cautious though?....NO! I become complacent too......a lot.

BTW, you can get a pint of GOOD deer urine for under $20 if you look in the right places. Sure beats the fake stuff that sells for $8 an oz. and comes out black. When was the last time you saw black urine from an animal? I never have and therefore will never use it. If you can't find good urine, use your own, it's better than the black stuff.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
You bring up some very good points uptracker, Thats pretty much the same routine I use, wear my scent lock suit,spray rubber boots down,wear rubber gloves and decent rake if using one. I always make mine with a licking branch pencil size in diameter or slightly larger and 48''-70'' high from the ground for the licking branch. I have had good success in the past just trying some new products this year, you never know if theres something better till you try. Don't you guys think alot has to do with the personalities of the bucks in your area. Some bucks are just more aggresive in some area's due to the buck-doe ratio or even the size of the bucks. And as for the human pee, I had a big scrape getting worked over real hard and after I peed in it game over. maybe theres something wrong with my tinckle but I'm not doing that again.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Tommy - One thing about the Hawgs limited is you may have to refresh your scrape yourself a few times before they take it over but they should take it over before long..

And yes i do believe that different areas can have different behavioral patterns..

We hunt a very urban area so we may not be as scent cautious as some of you here are.. One of the perks of hunting these types of areas.. We just take the stick that we used to make the scrape and smack the branches a few times until we get them to bend over..

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
Thanks dsconnell, I have 4 mock scrapes now I'll keep you posted on the results, to be fair, I did not purchase both at the same time first I bought the pre/post rut and a few days later the f-gland. I will give it a couple weeks try before switching to another product:)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Mock scrapes are the way to go!! I've been using them for years!! good suggestions here from previous posters!! follow these and watch the deer come.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts