Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mock scrapes...do you use them and when do you start making them...and where. I stumbled across an article about them and now my curiosity is piqued!

·
Registered
418 Posts
i use them alot i will start in early oct and use just a buck or doe urine(not estrous) and i use dripper bottles and will make a mock scrape line that passes my stand sight, as the rut approaches the scent changes to more doe in heat types

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
We have used them with success. Our camp usually start the end of October and beginning week of Nov unless a lot of rutting activity is seen before this. We want the timing to coincide with most of the natural scrapes showing up, this especially works if you fit one or two into a bucks natural route. Make sure there is a low overhanging branch and work the soil underneath correctly. If you have saved an old paw, place the mark in the edge of where the soil is worked up. It has made a difference for us. We prepare them using rubber soles and try to make no contact with surrounding vegetation. Then hunt a little distance away on the route. We do not hunt over them because we want the scent kept natural. Hope this helps; good hunting.

·
Administrator
17,786 Posts
I use them every year, and generally start making them in October.
I had good luck with the synthetic "Hawg" scent, buck urine. When a buck starts taking over your mock scrape, he will also pay more attention to your calling. Mock scrapes and deer calls work well together.
<----<<<

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
This is what I've done in the past.

The best way that I've found to make a mock scrape that will work is this: Go to a different woods and find buck sign. Find a scrape.
Clip off his licking branch with a pair of snips and take some dirt from his scrape. Get the moist " pee dirt" , get on your hands and knees and sniff, you'll smell it. Use rubber surgical gloves, VERY important that you don't touch anything that is going in the scrap that your going to make with human hands.
Put your booty in a plastic bag.

Go back to where you want to hunt, find the dominat buck sign from the deer in that area, ie: his scrape.
Bring a rake.
Rake out a circle appx. 3 ft. in dia. or so raking the debris into the real bucks scrape. This will really tick him off.
Tie the licking branch you took from the first scrape over the one that you just made. Not too high, 4 ft. off the ground. low enough that your buck can get a snoot full.
Now put the dirt from the first scrape that you got from the other location into the one that you just made.

You just opened a can of whoop ass.

The impression that your trying to make on the buck that you want to kill here is that some new guy has THE GUTS !! THE NERVE !! THE CAHOONAS !! to not only move into your bucks territory, but to make his own scrape , RIGHT NEXT TO HIS !! AND SHOVING ALL THE CRAP INTO MINE !!
WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOO this is really going to get the real buck super mad and he WILL come looking for you.

As a rule. he will visit that scrape several times during the day hoping to catch you there. Especially if this is the dominate buck in this area. Pre-rut is the best time to do this. Once does are in heat, the bucks pretty much abandon scrapes ( tho they will check now and then ) and are on the move trying to cut a hot does track.

Remember to wear knee high rubber boots and rubber surgical gloves. You must be scent free and leave no scent for this to work. Watch where your walking too, don't brush up against anything that you don't have to.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I use them every year. I like to use one of those drip bags. I set it along a known trail bucks move through. Sometimes they stop by it and other times it gets no attention.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Every year, make sure you use the right pee at the right time though, very important!

·
Registered
19,645 Posts
I've used mock scrapes for years now. I create them along with a licking branch and then keep the licking branch active year round. I have one right now that I have a cam setup and I have been getting pictures of bucks and does hitting the branch since early March. Soon I will start using scent on the scrape. I prefer using drip bottles over the scrape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts