Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about making a mock scrape on the edge of a swamp not far from a cut cornfield. There were some nice scrapes there early in Nov. and i see one has been opened up again.

I know about active scrape lure, pre-orbital scents for the licking branch, buck tarsal gland lure, ect.

Im not much of a scent guy, but i do have some trails end #307 and tinks 69 proshot.

Can i make a effective mock scrape using one or both of these lures??

Thanks...

-Bob

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
I have 2 active mock scrapes. One started with tinks 69 is under overhanging apple tree branches. The 2nd scrape I kicked out under an olive bush. The 2nd I started by urinating, but since have used only tinks on both. Neither have had scent added to the over hangs, atleast not by me. Lol

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I personaly would just take a leak in the freshened scrape.
I was just about to say something similar... came up in another thread.

Never attempted a mock scrape before but was going to try in the upcoming week. I have a half bottle of Code blue doe urine, I was going to apply all of that and then refreshen it periodically myself ;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Is there a reason to start a mock scrape, when the deer have opened one up already? Location to blind/shot/view?

I would freshen up the active one, with both scents. That is why the deer made it. Scrapes are hit by multiple deer, so you won't hurt it adding multiple scents.

Also, don't be afraid to use a drag with one of the same scents on your walk in. Watched many bucks follow a scent drag to/from a scrape.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had very good luck with Smokey's Pre Orbital Gland Lure this year. About 70% of my mock scrapes were hit. Not all of this included ground pawing, but they at least hit the licking branches on every one of those that they did hit. I have only found Smokey's online. But it's the lure that I've had the most success with. For the ground scrape I've seen more success with tarsal gland/buck urine lures than doe urine lures. Good luck!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts