Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mo. to Launch Deer Management Program

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Reducing the length of buck season and requiring hunters to shoot a doe before taking a buck are among the suggestions being considered as Missouri prepares to launch a pilot deer management program.
Conservationists estimate there are 1 million deer in the state. The Missouri Department of Conservation is looking for ways to help balance the ratio between the sexes among the state's deer herd.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...deer_population

·
666 Posts
Missouri seems to be getting very proactive, especially from where they were just a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Missouri has been looking at this for a couple of months now. The MO-DNR wants a smaller deer herd with an older buck age structure. Sounds a lot like QDM.

State of Missouri information

More and more states are getting progressive with their deer management. Traditional deer management is quickly becoming outdated, everywhere except Michigan.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The logistics of any earn-a-buck program they might initiate could be interesting. That's because, according to some Missourians that I recently talked with "resident landowners may hunt deer (and turkey) on land they own, and lessees may do the same on land they lease and live on, without a permit/license. The landowners do not have to live on the land " However, those hunting without a permit/license must abide by season dates, methods, limits and checking requirements.

Another interesting wrinkle in MO is that nonresident who are MO landowners pay a deer permit/license fee that is about half that of the regualr nonresidentdeer permit/license fee.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife and I own property in one of the counties mentioned
in that article.
We will be down there in two weeks for TURKEY !!!!!!!
Non-resident land owners do get a break on the cost of a hunting
license, but you are restricted to hunting only your property and
you must own a certain amount of contiguous property to
qualify.
Like here in Mi. trespass is a major problem, but when called
the LAW will ticket the violaters.
I'll give an up date when I return the first week of May.

dick,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts