Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on permanent stands on state lands.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...cle_326ca5a1-ab81-5c91-8bf3-b0a6f7abc2f3.html

I'm only guessing, but I believe this means ALL stands/blinds would have to be removed after each hunt.
My experience with "squatters" in the area of the UP that I hunt, is that they build year round permanent blinds, which they abandon after they deteriorate, blaze extensive trails to these blinds to accommodate walking and quads to haul their bait, and they're VERY territorial toward ANYONE hunting anywhere near "their" spot.
I know that all of this is already illegal in Michigan however, removing the option of employing a permanent "shack" during a specific time period, would greatly curtail this bad behavior, IMO.
There are plenty of very nice portable pop up blinds that are affordable these days.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...cle_326ca5a1-ab81-5c91-8bf3-b0a6f7abc2f3.html

I'm only guessing, but I believe this means ALL stands/blinds would have to be removed after each hunt.
My experience with "squatters" in the area of the UP that I hunt, is that they build year round permanent blinds, which they abandon after they deteriorate, blaze extensive trails to these blinds to accommodate walking and quads to haul their bait, and they're VERY territorial toward ANYONE hunting anywhere near "their" spot.
I know that all of this is already illegal in Michigan however, removing the option of employing a permanent "shack" during a specific time period, would greatly curtail this bad behavior, IMO.
There are plenty of very nice portable pop up blinds that are affordable these days.
Won't make any difference if it is illegal or not. While baiting is still illegal in parts of Michigan, we still find illegal baitpiles. The same will happen with illegal blinds.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,435 Posts

I'm with you on this one.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't make any difference if it is illegal or not. While baiting is still illegal in parts of Michigan, we still find illegal baitpiles. The same will happen with illegal blinds.
I agree skipper however, just like illegal bait piles (over 2 gal) a permanent shack, at least unoccupied, would be a slam dunk violation. No gray area, IMO.
Proving whether or not illegal cutting was done by the occupant of a blind might be harder to prove but the elimination of the "permanent blind" option may decrease the "necessity" for an interstate system.
What a guy does on his/her private property is their business in this matter.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Having to remove all stands or blinds from the woods is a bit excessive. My 60 year old father would essentially be forced to stop hunting from a tree stand. Ladder stands would become worthless.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
One of the reasons I don't hunt state land is because of past experience with hunters who "claim" exclusive rights to land. It would be too simplistic to say that the good spots are all taken, but finding them can involve numerous encounters with guys who get upset with you being within a quarter mile of them, even if they're in a treestand and wearing camo.

But in theory, what is the difference between someone setting up a permanent blind for the season and setting up a campsite? My knowledge of state land occupation policy is minimal, but does a person have to be permanently present at a campsite to keep his claim to that site? Can someone move into his tent or trailer if he goes home for a weekend? If not, then can a treestand or ground blind not have the protection that a campsite has?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
What is the definition of "Permanent"? The little information the article provided is useless without a definition.

Maybe currently it's a free for all in MN, I don't know. I do know (think) that here in Michigan we have every aspect of "permanent" regulated already. No placement sooner than, no later than, first come first serve, no cutting, no fastener that penetrates the cambium layer etc. Seems like any additions to existing regs would be nothing more than calling an old thing a new thing and regulating that too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The article says that the proposed ban would only affect county and state lands. Federal land (e.g. National Forests) would be exempt for the reason that the state does not have jurisdiction over federal property.

If Michigan adopted this law it would leave vast tracts of federal land unaffected and thus "permanent" blinds would still be permissible.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If Michigan adopted this law it would leave vast tracts of federal land unaffected and thus "permanent" blinds would still be permissible.
However, NOT year round, which has been my experience and what I believe to be the cause of the reaction of the squatters.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Isn't there already a law for this?

I don't think I've ever seen a constructed blind that was left out year round, and when a stand or blind is left out after the season it becomes illegal and then it's not allowed to be used.

Now it’s my observation that the DNR doesn't come in and pull illegal stands, and with the officers being so busy during the seasons it’s a slim chance that anybody would ever be caught hunting out of them.

I would like to see the DNR allow the public to be able to pull the stands that are left and turn them in during off season from the first of April through the end of August, Fill out a form when they do and mark a map in case there are any complaints and the COs would be aware so maybe they could watch an area.

·
Premium Member
13,402 Posts
Poster Alan M ……offers:
“………and with the officers being so busy during the seasons it’s a slim chance that anybody would ever be caught hunting out of them.

I would like to see the DNR allow the public to be able to pull the stands that are left and turn them in during off season from the first of April through the end of August,…….. “

I would posit that your observation, ---a correct one, btw ---on busy officers and slim chances would equally apply to those folks who remove those illegal stands and convert to their own use. It is taking what is not yours, to be sure, however, getting “caught” seem improbable as you suggested

Further, such ‘conversions’ as I describe could have an appeal to those who bridle at the increase in governmental regulations such as your suggestion of turning them in, filling out form, etc. In other words, these ‘conversions’ should appeal to the holders of Libertarian philosophies, one would think.

On the face of it, it seems the beneficiaries outnumbering the losers 2:1 ala' win/win/lose. Meaning, the woods being cleaned of superfluous (and illegal) manufactured items = winner; the new owner of the treestand = winner; and the former owner, well, the former owner is a loser.

I think an argument could be made along those lines.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts

It used to be illegal to have a ground blind on public land before about one week before deer season. A couple years ago they changed that low and now you can have ground blinds on public land all through the archery deer season. It seems like Michigan went the opposite direction as Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a constructed blind that was left out year round, and when a stand or blind is left out after the season it becomes illegal and then it's not allowed to be used.
I walked a Montcalm county SGA last week that is near my land. During a 3-4 hour scouting walk I found 3 permanent constructed blinds, 3 tripod stands, and 12-14 treestands. I would be willing to wager that almost all (if not all) will still be up after the March 1st deadline. The hunters that own those setups obviously don't care about the current law.

·
Registered
35,264 Posts
There should be a law that states no stands of any kind should be left up overnight on any public land. Any stand not attended should be considered abandoned and free for the taking. Anyone occupying a stand that was left up overnight should be ticketed and have to pay the the state to remove it.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
There should be a law that states no stands of any kind should be left up overnight on any public land. Any stand not attended should be considered abandoned and free for the taking. Anyone occupying a stand that was left up overnight should be ticketed and have to pay the the state to remove it.
Again, this would effectively prevent my father from hunting from a treestand, and render ladderstands basically useless.
Nothing overnight is quite a stretch.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
There is no way I could pull my stand every night and set it up again the next time I hunt. I'd probably kill myself trying to take it down and I would have no place to store it until my next hunt. Personally I don't see the problem with keeping it in the woods during the season.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The only time I have ever had a stand stolen is during the hunting season, but then again I never leave them out after the season.
I know of 5 that are left out year round, and a couple of them are never hunted from, I think they are used to block people from hunting an area.
I'm with triplelunger, being pulled every night is something that I wouldn't want to do or even be able to do, and virtually we wouldn't be able to hunt elevated anymore.
Some of stands are too large or to far back in and or just too far from home for one of us to be able to place them and pull them daily unassisted.
You know how the new road kill laws work, you only have to call it in when you pick it up and when it’s gone. Well the same thing could work, call it in and let them know of your intention of pulling one, give location, your name and number. This would give the DNR the chance to meet you out there where the stand is located and take possession the illegal stand, come to your home, or receive it when you yourself turn it into the DNR office.
If a person doesn't follow this step then the illegal stand would be considered stolen.
Most of our deer are taken from elevated stands and I sure hope that they don't change the law and make it impossible for us to hunt out of tree stands.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts