Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
It will be a different than your typical "5-best" tournament. In many of the past big events on LSC there were guys that would be on huge schools of 3-4 lb fish, but they would lose to a guy who maybe only caught 7-8 fish, but they were the right ones to win. If guys are able to locate those "mega-schools", then the daily weights could get really crazy.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I think there will be some crazy big weights for this tournament.
On another note, my brother is a bit of a fan boy when it comes to these pros. Gotta make sure he doesn't get arrested for stalking. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
110 Posts
It will be a different than your typical "5-best" tournament. In many of the past big events on LSC there were guys that would be on huge schools of 3-4 lb fish, but they would lose to a guy who maybe only caught 7-8 fish, but they were the right ones to win. If guys are able to locate those "mega-schools", then the daily weights could get really crazy.
I think you'll see some MLF/BPT records get broken this week. Unfortunately, this lake doesn't need any more attention...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think you'll see some MLF/BPT records get broken this week. Unfortunately, this lake doesn't need any more attention...
I hear ya there. I wish I could go back to what it was like in the late 90’s when we rarely ever saw a bass boat, let alone lots full of them from other states. I could catch 20-25 bass most days just randomly throwing rattletraps wherever I happened to stop. It was almost too easy. Sure the weights have gone up at the high end, but they are much harder to catch now for the average guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app. Slimshady Customs: Custom Painted Crankbaits.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Water Organism Fin Fluid Fish
I hear ya there. I wish I could go back to what it was like in the late 90’s when we rarely ever saw a bass boat, let alone lots full of them from other states. I could catch 20-25 bass most days just randomly throwing rattletraps wherever I happened to stop. It was almost too easy. Sure the weights have gone up at the high end, but they are much harder to catch now for the average guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app. Slimshady Customs: Custom Painted Crankbaits.
Yep mid 80s -90s we used to catch them almost every where from canals to main lake and lots of them . I still get 3-4 every time out perch fishing got this one today was fun on 4 lb test line and a light action pole.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don’t think any records will be broken on st clair . They are restricted to Michigan waters only from Huron to Erie. The weather is going to be bad multiple days. No way they come close to what we saw at the st Lawrence. You may see wheeler win this one in Erie. Not putting money on it, but wouldn’t surprise me.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I got real excited at first glance of the title when my sick mind thought it read MILF Bass Tour.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I imagine there will be 50+ fish days all 3lb plus. It’s going to be crazy.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts

Alot has changed in the lake over 25 yrs. I dont think adding a bunch of out of state catch and release bass fisherman is what has changed the size of the fish in the lake.

There have been several invasive species that have affected every fishery from bass to perch to walleye. Their forage has changed and likely where they feed also. Those high protein gobies are likely what made weights go up.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Alot has changed in the lake over 25 yrs. I dont think adding a bunch of out of state catch and release bass fisherman is what has changed the size of the fish in the lake.

There have been several invasive species that have affected every fishery from bass to perch to walleye. Their forage has changed and likely where they feed also. Those high protein gobies are likely what made weights go up.
I’m not saying the pressure changed the size, but it sure made the 2-3 lb fish much harder to catch. I used to fish the typical mile road areas on a weekend and there might be one or two boats around. Now there’s 25. I also worry about recruitment because we don’t see many small ones. I don’t remember the last time I caught a smallmouth under 2 lbs. in LSC. Where are they?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I’m not saying the pressure changed the size, but it sure made the 2-3 lb fish much harder to catch. I used to fish the typical mile road areas on a weekend and there might be one or two boats around. Now there’s 25. I also worry about recruitment because we don’t see many small ones. I don’t remember the last time I caught a smallmouth under 2 lbs. in LSC. Where are they?

Go in shallow. You’ll find lots of little ones. They tend to stay where they won’t be eaten by the big ones….

·
Registered
12,656 Posts

High water and different baitfish changes habits. You can find plenty of small fish if you want to. I think the huge increase in other predator fish keeps those small fish shallow. They are either afraid of being eaten or cannot compete with the gazillion walleye in the lake now. They may just be targeting different forage than the larger bass.

The increase in walleye is one of the biggest change in dynamics that is affecting the bass habits in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I don’t think any records will be broken. They are restricted to Michigan waters only from Huron to Erie. The weather is going to be bad multiple days. No way they come close to what we saw at the st Lawrence. You may see wheeler win this one in Erie. Not putting money on it, but wouldn’t surprise me.
I saw that and wondered why they decided to restrict them to MI waters? There's not any logical reason to do that now.

·
Registered
10,751 Posts
I saw that and wondered why they decided to restrict them to MI waters? There's not any logical reason to do that now.
MLF has a bit of history with restricting sections of a body of water, so this is far from unprecedented. Should give those guys a bit more of a challenge.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Very true. Didn't think about it that way. Given that, it would have been really interesting to have them change the boundaries each round like they have done in the past. Like LSC only one day, then just the D-River, or just the SCR, etc. That would really bring out who is the most versatile. When they do the Cup events, they change lakes for each round, and it was really interesting watching those guys have to break a new lake down real-time and try to figure it out. Just like we have to do. We normally never see that with the pros because that is usually done during practice.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
For those interested they stream it live all day every day on their app. Bryan Thrift has been leading all day long.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts