Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never took it to issue, but prepping for hunting tomorrow I realized that the tip of my ramrod with the loading jag on it is about 1/4 longer than the tip of my barrel when the ramrod is it it's holding spot.

Anyone ever have this same issue? Is there an issue with safety with the 1/4 of brass exceeding the barrel length? Shot blast etc..?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
My ramrod on my Encore is longer than the muzzle with the loading jag attached. I shot a deer last week with the ramrod on the gun, made no difference whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As long as your ramrod isn't bent or something, so that it is not actually in front of the muzzle, there aren't any issues with it being longer than the barrel. A couple of mine are probably 1" or 1 1/2" longer; No problem. In fact, I killed a deer with one like that just this morning! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the fast replies, but if you guys are wrong and when I shoot that the 22 point in the morning, just understand the first thing that will come to my mind if the tip snaps off will be "DAMN LOOK AT THAT RACK!!":lol:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Mine is the same way - not a problem for shooting but when cleaning later take the jag off and clean / lube the threads - mine got corroded from the muzzle blast and the jag was hard to remove.

If you use Loctite on the jag threads it will seal the gap and keep the gases out but always a good idea to remove when cleaning the gun.

You would think T/C would have thought of this and made the rod that much shorter . . . :confused:

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
Mines the same way. Been shooting it for quite a few years this way without any accuracy issues.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Mine is the same way - not a problem for shooting but when cleaning later take the jag off and clean / lube the threads - mine got corroded from the muzzle blast and the jag was hard to remove.

If you use Loctite on the jag threads it will seal the gap and keep the gases out but always a good idea to remove when cleaning the gun.

You would think T/C would have thought of this and made the rod that much shorter . . . :confused:
I have experienced the exact thing you mention, so I started using the TC breech plug lube on the jag threads and problem solved. If my ramrod were any shorter I would have trouble seating my load because I use the red rubber end with the rod to ram the load into the gun. With 3 pellets it would be okay but I use 2 pellets and a Shockwave, so any shorter and I would not be able to seat the load using the red rubber end.

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
I use Blue Magic Multi Purpose polish on my brass loading jag. Takes the fouling right off and leaves it looking like brand shiney new. Cant say ive had any trouble with the threads siezing in the ram rod though. It always unscrews with ease.:16suspect

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I wish that my loading jag would fit through the thimbels for my ram rod. its too wide and I have to take the jag off to put the rob back in its place.

jag is the Honady SST jag, gun is a TC Triumph with a TC power rod. I was thinking about grinding down the jag but dont want to worry about scratching the barrell when I load a sabot.

J-

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I wish that my loading jag would fit through the thimbels for my ram rod. its too wide and I have to take the jag off to put the rob back in its place.

jag is the Honady SST jag, gun is a TC Triumph with a TC power rod. I was thinking about grinding down the jag but dont want to worry about scratching the barrell when I load a sabot.

J-
I slide mine in with the jag at the muzzle - jag will not fit thru the thimbles.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I slide mine in with the jag at the muzzle - jag will not fit thru the thimbles.
OK thanks, not sure if the handle of the power rod that I have will fit through the thimbles either, but I'll try that.

Thanks

J-

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I never took it to issue, but prepping for hunting tomorrow I realized that the tip of my ramrod with the loading jag on it is about 1/4 longer than the tip of my barrel when the ramrod is it it's holding spot.

Anyone ever have this same issue? Is there an issue with safety with the 1/4 of brass exceeding the barrel length? Shot blast etc..?
Jeff,

The brass will survive, but if it were one of the plastic load jags like supplied with PR Bullets they can and will shear off from the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Encore pistol and always take the jag off after loading. You are only going to have the 1 shot anyway. Make the most of it. Hoot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts