Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's left of a 295gr Powerbelt with 150 gr 777 pellets. Remington Genesis 50 cal.

The deer was about 12 yards away and entered the throat. The long piece was found on his kneecap. The other piece was in the hide, opposite the entry wound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have seen this before with Powerbelts, no exit and the bullet disintegrates. Yours are bigger than what I have seen before. I won't use them for this very reason.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Just killed a doe on Saturday with a 295gr Aerow Tip Powerbelt. Clean pass thru with a blood highway left behind.
Exit hole was the size of a golfball. Thats the way I like em'.
May be its the Aerow Tip that does the trick.
Had a youth hunter kill a buck last season with my gun and a hollow point Powerbelt. Shot location was the same as the doe killed this past weekend but No pass thru. It did fold that deer like nothing but the bullet did shred after impact. The insides were a mess.

Arrow tip Powerbelt = Major Trauma

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just killed a doe on Saturday with a 295gr Aerow Tip Powerbelt. Clean pass thru with a blood highway left behind.
Exit hole was the size of a golfball. Thats the way I like em'.
May be its the Aerow Tip that does the trick.
Had a youth hunter kill a buck last season with my gun and a hollow point Powerbelt. Shot location was the same as the doe killed this past weekend but No pass thru. It did fold that deer like nothing but the bullet did shred after impact. The insides were a mess.

Arrow tip Powerbelt = Major Trauma
It was an aerow-tip. I think it was a combination of 150 grains and being so close. What I hate about sabots is they are hard to load and hold a group after a couple shots.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
this is what I am also shooting...looks like it did the job it was supposed to do! Expanded on contact and caused some fatal damage. Deer down were the results!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
this is what I am also shooting...looks like it did the job it was supposed to do! Expanded on contact and caused some fatal damage. Deer down were the results!
Yeah, it hit the soft tissue of the neck and still over expanded and came apart. Heaven forbid one hits a itty bitty rib or the shoulder. Those pictures show piss poor bullet performance. Sure, the deer died and was recovered...this time. :nono:

·
Registered
771 Posts
20 yards away, completely broadside. Drilled her in the heart. Off she ran thru a short cut hay field. Snow on the ground made for excellent blood trailing...and now the problem...

Indeed I found her -almost 300 yards from the shot...no exit hole. A 295 gr. hollow point and 100 grains of 777 (2 pellets) and the bullet blew up.

Got the deer - did not like the performance of the powerbelt.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Not to start an arguement but I have had nothing but good success with 295gr hollow point Power Belts. Nope I have never had an exit wound but the slugs have all been recovered under the hide on the off side and they were all completely intact and mushroomed. If any one needs proof I can take some opictures of the slugs. Anyway if all the energy is soaked up inside the critter, that's what we want isn't it?? Dead is dead:confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to shoot PowerBelts. I wont use them anymore, after hearing of all the problems. I only shot one deer with them, but had grouping problems too. I have since switched to Barnes, copper bullets. They group well and perform great. I have never found one, they are always pass thru's. Other's have posted pic's of the mushroomed bullets. Almost always 100% weight retention:D This week, two have fallen to the Barnes mz Expander bullet. One on the spot, other in 50 yards!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
. Anyway if all the energy is soaked up inside the critter, that's what we want isn't it?? Dead is dead:confused:
Not me really. Energy doesn't kill an animal. (unless it's lightning) Tissue damage and blood loss from vital organs kills deer. Personaly, I want a long horrific wound channel and an exit wound. This accomplishes two things, massive trauma to vitals, and one more hole to dump blood. Is the exit always necessary? No, but it sure can be helpful. Even deer with all that "energy" dumped inside can run, there will to live is sometimes amazing.
The deer I killed Saturday, I blew out the top have of the heart and destroyed both lungs. The deer still managed to make it 40-50 yards thru the thickest mess imaginable. The big Barnes exited like always and the blood trail was 4 feet wide and and 4 ft tall in the snow and brush. The deer layed piled up head first in the bottom of a large blowdown. A good blood trail can be mighty important. The Barnes always creates a lot of damage and almost always exits (they have all exited for me). Maybe I'm pickier than most, but the inconsistancy of the PB's is not worth the chance at wounding or losing a deer.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Here is a pic I borrowed from another post. They are 250 gr. Barnes TMZ's. Both were recovered last week from two different deer. Both were shot in the front shoulder and traveled all the way thru the deer and recovered by the rear hindquarter. Each weighed about 248 gr.'s . Can you imagine the wound channel from front to back? You dont see many of these! They are a work of art! Can you tell, I like them?:lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here is a pic I borrowed from another post. They are 250 gr. Barnes TMZ's. Both were recovered last week from two different deer. Both were shot in the front shoulder and traveled all the way thru the deer and recovered by the rear hindquarter. Each weighed about 248 gr.'s . Can you imagine the wound channel from front to back? You dont see many of these! They are a work of art! Can you tell, I like them?:lol:

Can't argue with that. :lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is a 295 grain Hollowpoint Powerbelt that I recovered from an EAS doe that went no where after the shot. She was almost directly bolow me when I shot and it hit the spine and traveled through the chest cavity and ended up in the armpit right next to the hide. I'm shooting 100grains of 777. This is only the second deer that I have taken with powerbelt but both of them went straight down. I have read the discussions on here and other boards about the "flaws" of the powerbelts, but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I think I'll trust my field results more than internet on this one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think people don't realize how light-for-caliber a .50cal 295gr bullet is. You can't expect super-penetration from such a super-soft bullet with low sectional density. The heavier powerbelts would probably perform better.

That said, the original post reports penetration on a deer from throat to rear-end. That's perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My biggest problem with power belts is that they are not accurate. Congrats on the deer kill but twelve yards wouldn`t make me a believer. I`m not too worried about how a bullet performs on a deer, just on how accurate and placement of a bullet. I used to shoot power belts until last year.I wounded three deer because of the bullet flying every which way. At thirty yards the bullet was off 6 to 12 inches. Now I shoot shock waves ,at 200 grns,not 245 not 300 but 200 grns . and they performed excellent. At 75 yrds open sights I can hit a 1 and half inch circle. With power belts I couldn`t even hit a 3 by 3 ft paper. all with the same gun. I really don`t think bullet performance is all that important with a muzzle loader because of the lower velocities. Getting the bullet where you want it is what really counts. That`s my 2 cents worth..:coolgleam:coolgleam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts