Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever hunted Missouri on the bow opener? We are thinking about planning a trip down this year.. Wondering if its worth it, public land only as of now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did it once, wouldn't do it again. Too much vegetation and leaves, too warm, skeeters, etc. Deer only moved in last hour of daylight. Wait till at least Halloween would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
Did it once, wouldn't do it again. Too much vegetation and leaves, too warm, skeeters, etc. Deer only moved in last hour of daylight. Wait till at least Halloween would be my recommendation.
:yeahthat:

I haven't been to Missouri but my brother and a friend did and early season hunt with a similar review.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Yep been there and done that. Sweated through all my scent gear (5 suits) in a week. Hot, extreme bugs that were laughing at the thermacell. Just miserable. Nothing fun about it. Middle of September and hot. Deer move last hour before dark. You need to be over beans, clover or alfalfa. I remember sitting there thinking if I actually kill one my work is really going to be cut out because it's so hot. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Being originally from Missouri, I'm going to say the same thing. Wait until Halloween to go. The heat and bugs are rough and you could sit all day and never see deer move until the last hour of light. It's a great time to catch a big boy off his guard in a bean field but the heat will wreck your experience. The thin summer hair makes for a not so appealing mount also.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Nice job , checked the weather by our hunting property down there and seems plenty warm . Must be to busy cutting and boiling for pics . Congrats

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice job , checked the weather by our hunting property down there and seems plenty warm . Must be to busy cutting and boiling for pics . Congrats
I will try to get one up today when I run to town, I have crappy service where i'm at and can't get a picture to load. Other guys I am with will be hunting all day so I will run to town and get some service.

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
I am sure its like early season muzzle loading in KS. Couple years ago I was in a stand sweating dealing with bugs and heat. Swearing it was my last year to do the Sept hunt. Very hot day but also figured the deer were bedded up in the corn field all day and needed water. I set up between the creek and cornfield. Just before dark with my thermacell going, (does not work for gnats) the temp took a nice drop and I watched a nice big 2.5 year 10 point come out of the corn 50 yards from me. I chose to let him walk. About 50 yards behind him in tow steps out my big 15 point, dressed out at #225. Looked like a cow and still had his summer coat. It was a good hunt to remember. I have not been back to KS but plan to next year if I draw.

Reactions: Hunting18

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just saw this, but if you end up in the middle of the state (Columbia/Jeff City) let me know and I will shorten your scouting up a bit for you. I do a lot more Duck hunting that deer anymore, but I have seen a buck or two from the blind :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts