Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I connected on my trip to South Central Missouri 2 weeks ago.
Sunday morning I was in my spot early. No stand, just a folding chair behind a tree 50 yards from where I saw 13 deer pass by the day before. At 7:00 I hear the snap of a twig just in time to see antlers move behind a cluster of trees. So I raise the 870 slug gun and wait for him to step out. First the head and he’s looking strait in my direction, then he turns away from me and looks to his right. Still no shot due to trees. He takes 2 more steps and is now just hidden by browse. So I start with the cross hairs on the head, follow the neck down, visualize where the shoulder is thru the weeds and squeeze. The shot was @ 30 yards so pushing a 12 gauge slug thru some browse brush did not concern me. He takes off back down the path he came in on over the rise and down the hill. I checked my watch and hand planed to wait 15-20 minutes but I heard 2 shots from the adjoining property. :sad: :sad: :sad: My heart sank. Was it my buck they were shooting at?? Did I miss @ 30 yards?? :confused: :confused: How could I miss @ that range?? :bash: I then got up and walked to where he was standing when I shot. No blood. :sad: Since I was within 50 yards of a fence line and didn’t want to push the buck over the property line, assuming I had connected and the shots I heard were a different deer, I walked the fence line out to the field, about 300 yards. No deer, no blood, no sign of anything. So back to the shooting site, start looking for blood again. Started with semi circles around where he was standing. Finally, 35 feet from where he was shot I see some blood. Then more, and now there’s a path of blood. He piled up 90 yards from where he was shot. The shot was high and forward of the shoulder as he was quartering to me. I guess it took some time for the lungs to fill up. The slug ended up under the skin of the opposite side rib cage.
Even though I could have used the 300WSM I chose the slug gun as I was close to a fence line and did not want to take any chances of a bullet carrying 500+ yards or of a thru and thru @ under 50 yards. The first pic is from the game cam 3 days earlier. He weighed out @ 190lbs. There are more pics on the web site at the bottom of the post.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
hey grizz congrats. nice deer. i have been in camden before about 4 years ago.

did you hunt by yourself? how did the rest of your party do? was this your first time in missouri? i have met some very nice people down there and enjoy hunting there.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nice Deer Grizz...I too once took a big 8 point in Missouri, Only I did it a little different, Got him in a little town called Sweet Springs, Smacked him at 70 mph on interstate 70 at 3am, with a car I hadn't even made the first payment on yet :rant: Spent 2 days sleeping on the floor of the only gas station while they got the car "running" . I was on my way back to Ft Riley Kansas after flying home to buy the car..I was almost late reporting back from leave...Ahh that buck has some memories..not good one's :lol: Funniest thing though, I had a hitchhiker (this was the early 70s) asleep in the passenger seat..Scared the bejeasus :yikes: out of him when I hit that buck :lol: :lol: He didn't stick around :chillin:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grouse Hunter: I have not connected in Illinois yet, Saw NOTHING Saturday and Sunday. :sad:

POLARBEAR: I was down there with a gentleman I work with, the property owner. He saw a couple @ 400 yards as he was hunting the crop fields but did not take the shot with his 308. There is still ~ an acre of corn up in the middle of 1 field as it was wet and muddy when harvested and could not get it picked. I saw the ruts from the combine and 1 almost swallowed my atv. :yikes: He only hunted opening am.

Thanks for the compliments on the deer, yes this was my first trip down to Missouri, hope to make a few more in the future. Opening morning I counted 50+ shots before 08:00am. Hard to say how far the shots were away as the sound tends to echo thru the hollows.

I sure can get used to hunting in 60 degree weather :) :) :) The only draw back is had to get the deer to a processor quick, I already had flies swarming when I dressed him out :yikes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts