Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had problems getting my 40 hp 1993 evinrude running this spring. Earlier this spring I had no spark. After alot of work and checking stuff replaced the coil. It wasn't that so we replaced the power pack.. We finally got spark. It ran rough however I thought it was bad plugs or gas. So I replaced the plugs at $8 a piece, put dry gas in, put about 2 more gallons good fresh gas in the tank. Still runs rough. It start and idles higher then it use to. I put it in gear and it kind of clunks as you go into gear. Not bad just more then it use to because it is idling so high. Probably idling at 1rpm's, not fast just higher then before. I can get the boat on plane and run it all the way around the lake. It doesn't have the power it use to though. It seems like its running at about 2/3rds speed. I can feel the motor miss alittle every 20-30 seconds. I ran the motor for about 15 minutes thinking it might be bad gas and had to get it cleared out. Or it justed need to be warmed out. Any suggestions.

Should the primer bulb always be hard. I noticed after running it around the lake the bulb wasn't hard anymore. Is the primer used just to start the motor or should it always be hard.

I checked the sparkplug wires and they are working.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
tdejong302 said:
Had problems getting my 40 hp 1993 evinrude running this spring. Earlier this spring I had no spark. After alot of work and checking stuff replaced the coil. It wasn't that so we replaced the power pack.. We finally got spark. It ran rough however I thought it was bad plugs or gas. So I replaced the plugs at $8 a piece, put dry gas in, put about 2 more gallons good fresh gas in the tank. Still runs rough. It start and idles higher then it use to. I put it in gear and it kind of clunks as you go into gear. Not bad just more then it use to because it is idling so high. Probably idling at 1rpm's, not fast just higher then before. I can get the boat on plane and run it all the way around the lake. It doesn't have the power it use to though. It seems like its running at about 2/3rds speed. I can feel the motor miss alittle every 20-30 seconds. I ran the motor for about 15 minutes thinking it might be bad gas and had to get it cleared out. Or it justed need to be warmed out. Any suggestions.

Should the primer bulb always be hard. I noticed after running it around the lake the bulb wasn't hard anymore. Is the primer used just to start the motor or should it always be hard.

I checked the sparkplug wires and they are working.
Ideling weird, missing and rough running. Sounds to me like a clogged jet in the Carb. If you look online you can probably find a rebuild kit for it for under 50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yuppers.... sure sounds like the ole 2 stoker is running lean...Don't run her to much like that or she won't run no more....

LMF :fish:

·
Super Moderator
37,724 Posts
I'd dump a strong mix of Seafoam in her and let it idle for a while. That stuff is magic, and will probably clean out the jets without the need of a rebuild.
Keep an ear out for the overheat alarm, lean conditions can cause overheating.

·
Super Moderator
37,724 Posts
HMMM on second read it sounds like you are running lean because of a bad bulb or fuel pump. Replace the primer bulb and then dump in the Seafoam, it will still help. (do I sound like a Seafooam fan? LOL). I am 99% positive you will be back in shape.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My next step will be seafoam then. I take it then the bulb should remain hard while you run the boat. Not just hard upon priming it.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
If it were mine I would replace the plug wires anyway, even if they look good. After installing new wires, if you still have problems it's probably carb-related.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While the wires did look good. I tried some wires that I had and ran the motor replacing the wires one at a time and no difference. I used automobile wires that would go to your distributor cap. I was told the wires are pretty much the same. So thats what I tried. :sad:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Seafoam is not a bad idea.

Start off with the simple things...... Is the fuel over flow vent clear (built in tank) or is the vent on the tank open. Have you checked for kinks in any of the lines. If you are running an external tank do you have have the fuel line/primer connected correctly? Making sure fuel flow goes from the tank to the motor not the opposite way.

Next take a look at the primer bulb and the fuel line. Including the fuel lines to the carb as well.

If there are cracks anywhere in the bulb or lines you will suck air and lose prime. If the fuel lines and bulb look good then give the hose clamps or cable ties which fasten the lines on the carb a good look. If they are questionable replace them. In my opinion the best way to fasten gas lines is with Stainless Hose Clamps. Why some manufacturers or shops use Cable Ties is beyond me.

If that does not address the issue then start looking into the fuel pump and carb and consider completely draining the fuel and refilling with fresh.

I had similar problems with a 4hp Suzuki that my uncle had given to me. A friend of mine cleaned out the needle and removed a bunch of debris that was in the bottom of the bowl and it improved. Come to find out that the fuel pump had the same garbage that was in the bowl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts