Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
What a sad waste. I feel bad for the involved successful hunters and the deer wasted.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Not surprised. My dad and older brothers had 1 processed when we first got into hunting. The returned meat was yuck. After that we started processing all deer ourselves.

I think a bigger problem that seldom if ever gets addressed is processors that skim on meat processing. Either whole deer processing where they keep some prime cuts, or sausage makers that "tax" the batch.

I took 57# of clean, lean, processed venison to a well known processor to have sausage made one time. With pork mixed in, it should have started at around 75# of meat. I got 27# of finished sausage back. Dude kicked me out of his place when I questioned the discrepancy. By coincidence, the tool's other side business was catering. Still p!ssed.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Not surprised. My dad and older brothers had 1 processed when we first got into hunting. The returned meat was yuck. After that we started processing all deer ourselves.

I think a bigger problem that seldom if ever gets addressed is processors that skim on meat processing. Either whole deer processing where they keep some prime cuts, or sausage makers that "tax" the batch.

I took 57# of clean, lean, processed venison to a well known processor to have sausage made one time. With pork mixed in, it should have started at around 75# of meat. I got 27# of finished sausage back. Dude kicked me out of his place when I questioned the discrepancy. By coincidence, the tool's other side business was catering. Still p!ssed.
I have worked for processors in the past. i can tell you that skimming simply doesnt happen from my experience. The reason is because of the number people thay drop a deer off for processing then never return and pay for it. This was the biggest issue processors I know had to deal with. It was nothing for them to have an extra 25-30 deer on hand in a season and they were giving venison away to friends and family and typically couldnt get rid of all the extra venison.

What happens is a guy goes up to camp with buddies for rifle season. He shoots a small deer and brings it home to a processor. After he has shown his family and taken pictures he realizes the expense of processing. He thinks about it and realizes his wife wont cook it and he doesnt even really care for venison himself and wonders why he would pay for it. He never returns for pickup. It happens more than you would think.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have worked for processors in the past. i can tell you that skimmong simply doesnt happen from my experience. The reason is because of the number people thay drop a deer off for processingnthen never return and pay for it. This was the biggest issue processors i know had to deal with. It was nothing for then to have an extra 25-30 deer on hand in a season and they were giving venison away to friends and family and typically couldnt get rid of all the extra venison.
Non-paying customers would be a factor but I do not believe the "skimming simply doesn't happen" part.

In your experience, you ever see a green gut shot get traded out with meat from a fresher one for an owner's buddy, or family member?

After my poor return on the sausage I mentioned in my previous post, I started making my own sausage. Never had anywhere close to that amount of fallout as "drippings" as I was told happened. Then life, a wife & kids happened and I had less time to make my own. Started using a different processor to make my sausage when I couldn't myself. I have never been shorted by him. As with most things in life, not all processors are created equal.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I drive 60 miles one way to have my deer and bear processed at a place I trust. I've done it myself, and have found the drive and the price worth the difference. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I shot a beauty back in '99. We normally processed our own, but the temps were high that year, so we took it to a local processor. I think he left it outside for a few days. When we got it back and would thaw a package, it literally stunk.

We couldn't eat it.

On top of that, he didn't debone it like I had asked, but simply ran it through the saw. I think he used a chainsaw....There were bone chips throughout the meat.

We continued to process them for years. We heard that the local butcher was processing deer out of his home. We took one there. He does a fantastic job. We probably haven't processed a deer since 2005 or thereabouts. I dread the day that he retires!

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Non-paying customers would be a factor but I do not believe the "skimming simply doesn't happen" part.

In your experience, you ever see a green gut shot get traded out with meat from a fresher one for an owner's buddy, or family member?

After my poor return on the sausage I mentioned in my previous post, I started making my own sausage. Never had anywhere close to that amount of fallout as "drippings" as I was told happened. Then life, a wife & kids happened and I had less time to make my own. Started using a different processor to make my sausage when I couldn't myself. I have never been shorted by him. As with most things in life, not all processors are created equal.
I havent seen that to be honest. The guy i
I worked with wouldnt take a green gutshot.....especially not from his brother lol.

I am not saying you didnt have an issue because problems occur and mistakes are made. The two places I have dealt with that did sausage both had a system and a formula. Typically it would go like this....if you gave 40lbs of meat for sausage they added 20% trimmings. That would make it 48lbs. Then they would subtract 3% for shrinkage during the cure. They would inform you that you will get back 46lbs when you drop the meat. A well run place will be very upfront about it. When issues happen it is usually when the seasonal help records a number wrong or mixes your info up with another customers. The gut behind you inline might be getting 25lbs back. You get recorded as him in their books.

If a meat cutter skimmed they wouldnt have returning customers or word of mouth business.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I drive 60 miles one way to have my deer and bear processed at a place I trust. I've done it myself, and have found the drive and the price worth the difference. YMMV.
I don't have to drive as far, but found a really good family run place to cut up my deer. They know my name, how I want the deer cut up and the quality is top notch. When they retire I will have start interviewing processors again

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
This is why I refuse to take deer to ANY proccesser.Too much stuff like this happening and your lucky if you even get your own deer back.Being able to butcher a deer is just as important as being able to to harvest a deer imo.
That's too broad a brush. Soderman's in Gladstone/Perkins/Rapid River is a good one I use without hesitation.

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
This is why I refuse to take deer to ANY proccesser.Too much stuff like this happening and your lucky if you even get your own deer back.Being able to butcher a deer is just as important as being able to to harvest a deer imo.
That's a perfectly valid opinion, as good as any imo.

Tie one arm behind your back first, then put on your clothes, tie your boots, gather your gear, go hunt, kill a deer, field dress it, drag it home or to your vehicle, butcher and package it. I might be impressed.

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
I have worked for processors in the past. i can tell you that skimming simply doesnt happen from my experience. The reason is because of the number people thay drop a deer off for processing then never return and pay for it. This was the biggest issue processors I know had to deal with. It was nothing for them to have an extra 25-30 deer on hand in a season and they were giving venison away to friends and family and typically couldnt get rid of all the extra venison.

PM me if they still have any in the cooler. I'll take at least two toward donation.

Reactions: Doghouse 5

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Too many factors to accuse a processor of stealing meat.one example i see and its just amazing how many guys kill a deer then think that their double shoulder or @$$ shot wont deduct from their meat stash. Anytime you sub out a job your taking your chances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally, i feel like if you dont butcher it you dont deserve it anyway. Might as well buy it at the store

My Grandpa hunted until the year he died in his mid 80’s.taught me how to hunt and he always enjoyed hunting and was able to get at least one deer every year. Even towards the end when he couldn’t walk far and we had to drive him out to the blind. He still loved to hunt and loved to eat every piece of venison he made hit the dirt. But he wasn’t able to process his own deer the last few years due to health issues. He’s not around anymore but I would have dared you to tell him he didn’t deserve the meat because he couldn’t process it. Not all situations are the same and that’s something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts