Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We lost it layout hunting DR/Erie near the shipping channel last sunday.
The wind switched south and blew pretty good. We had a rough one picking up and did'nt want to die trying to relocate it. The Danforth anchor was set well but could'nt find it days later.
Thanks a bunch

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
No doubt it will remain there thru the winter. In spring bring out another very heavy anchor with heavy rope and drag the area. You'll prolly snag the anchor line. Tie it up to your cleat and use your horsepower to pull put the drowned anchor CAREFULLY. You do not want to swamp the boat. Tie the retrieved anchor rope to the stern and drive in slow circles DIRECTLY ABOVE the snagged anchor. WATCH OUT for your motor. This is the way we would pull out snagged anchors in 50-150 feet of water in the Florida keyes. You may have snagged the cable going out to DETROIT LIGHT. If this is the case you wouldn't know. Abandon the retrieval after several futile attempts,and be satisfied to sacrifice the anchor and line to the water gods. Be extremely careful....Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
glad you guys just got out safe Jeff...

any birdies up there? it was decent down near Turtle Island a couple weeks ago but the birds are getting to darn smart and the layout shootings getting tough...hoping this front coming in a couple days will be a good push we need of some new dumb birds right before the split in Ohio....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Bump for ya.
I lost my anchor last week on purpose as well. Didn't thiink it was worth trying to get the anchor and getting bashed against a rock wall. Forced me to go and buy a better anchor :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts