Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,580 Posts
My experience in the SCR with missing adipose fins is that it's an Atlantic salmon. I caught one today with a missing adipose. The missing fin is from it being a planted fish.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turn that head in and you are entered into a drawing for a $100 prize. Great Lakes Salmon Initiative spearheaded the prize program last year and is doing it again this year. Congrats on the Steelie!
I sure will I filled
Out the paperwork and taking the head in Friday ! I can’t wait to learn about the fish!!!! And thank you!

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Nice fish! Judging the color on that fish just dropped back out of Clinton, belle, or black. I really wish dnr would credit Erie management unit like they do Lake Michigan and Huron. Chances are high that they will tell you it was planted in this management unit “Erie” but can’t tell you river because they don’t put coded tags in Erie management fish. Why? Somehow they must think Erie management fish don’t go into the predator pray model for lakes Huron and Michigan. Certainly steelhead can travel long distances and one would think a lot or most black, belle and Clinton fish end up in lake Huron.

· Registered
3,133 Posts
Nice fish! Judging the color on that fish just dropped back out of Clinton, belle, or black. I really wish dnr would credit Erie management unit like they do Lake Michigan and Huron. Chances are high that they will tell you it was planted in this management unit “Erie” but can’t tell you river because they don’t put coded tags in Erie management fish. Why? Somehow they must think Erie management fish don’t go into the predator pray model for lakes Huron and Michigan. Certainly steelhead can travel long distances and one would think a lot or most black, belle and Clinton fish end up in lake Huron.
I don't think that's a drop back,hes as chrome and fresh as can be. If he came from a smaller river he would be dark.

· Registered
18 Posts
If they're serious about what thier doing it won't take anytime.. My tagged sturgeon had info in mail in less then a week. Good job on the fish!
We can turn the sturgeon and smallmouth bass tags around quickly because we have the corresponding fish info for each tag number at our shop in Harrison Township. Coded wire tags are a different animal...the frozen fish heads have to be transferred from the drop-off location to another office where the tags are removed and read. Heads are typically transferred in large batches so the process can take several months. Please be patient, and thanks to the OP for turning the head in!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
4,594 Posts
We can turn the sturgeon and smallmouth bass tags around quickly because we have the corresponding fish info for each tag number at our shop in Harrison Township. Coded wire tags are a different animal...the frozen fish heads have to be transferred from the drop-off location to another office where the tags are removed and read. Heads are typically transferred in large batches so the process can take several months. Please be patient, and thanks to the OP for turning the head in!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
We usually don't get Coded wire tag info back until the next winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.