Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of chuckle to myself when I say we missed the rain again. I sound like the opposite of a guy I used to work with. Whenever a storm would come through he always seemed to get way more rain or snow than anyone else at work.
Yesterday’s rain went around us again, we got a measly 4/100”. We’ve got 1/4“ in the past 6 weeks. I’m not sure what causes the rain to disappear before it gets to us and then seem to pick back up as the front moves east. We live about 25 miles se of Grand Rapids which puts us east of the widest part of Lake Michigan, maybe that has something to do with it.
Even with decent soil the no till broadcast food plot is looking like a bust this year. Brassicas and turnips broadcasted before a no show rain event the last half of July are about 3” tall sparse and struggling. What original clover survived the gly spraying before I broadcast the seed into thatch and rolled is going dormant.
The rye seed that was over seeded before another no show rain event a few weeks ago had little germination and the turkeys have feasted on most of the seed. Luckily rye seed is fairly cheap and I will over seed before future rain events to get some winter/spring browse and a mulch layer for next years broadcast no till.
Last fall due to lack of rain and browse pressure I over seeded rye a few times and even had to over seed rye this spring to get a half way decent amount of thatch for my broadcast no till.
The joys of food plotting!

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
We have been getting mostly missed but I believe we have received enough in the last few days to germinate the rest of the rye I planted. Be thankful we didn’t receive what was left of Ida like the east coast did. I would rather have too little than too much.

We have a geographical feature that steers the storm clouds near camp. It’s called the Great Lakes plus there is an elevation change that plays a roll depending on the wind direction.

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
All I’m hearing is record rainfall and flooding here in MI with the exception of the UP. I’m in zone 3 south central MI. I know the mosquitoes are loving our wet summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have been getting mostly missed but I believe we have received enough in the last few days to germinate the rest of the rye I planted. Be thankful we didn’t receive what was left of Ida like the east coast did. I would rather have too little than too much.

We have a geographical feature that steers the storm clouds near camp. It’s called the Great Lakes plus there is an elevation change that plays a roll depending on the wind direction.
Luv2hunteup what would you say is adequate rainfall for germination?? I out down a blend of grasses,forbs, brassicas, and legumes and got
.5" of rain and not supposed to get any more for another week. Your thoughts?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
Luv2hunteup what would you say is adequate rainfall for germination?? I out down a blend of grasses,forbs, brassicas, and legumes and got
.5" of rain and not supposed to get any more for another week. Your thoughts?

That depends on many different factors such as soil, shade, sun, humidity, wind, smoke from western fires, temperature and so on. If you have heavy soil, a high percentage of shade, clouds, high humidity with no wind plus smoke from the western fires for a week you will probably see good germination. In that specific combination evaporation will slow dramatically like it did here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That depends on many different factors such as soil, shade, sun, humidity, wind, smoke from western fires, temperature and so on. If you have heavy soil, a high percentage of shade, clouds, high humidity with no wind plus smoke from the western fires for a week you will probably see good germination. In that specific combination evaporation will slow dramatically like it did here.
Soil - rocky

Shade/sun - good clearing in the woods. Gets sun most of the day

Humidity - high!! Sometimes 100% in the mornings with lots of dew on the grass and trees.

Wind and smoke - little to mine.

Here's hoping to that few and moisture in the mornings helps!

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
0.1" at our house 10 miles south of Lansing

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
Soil - rocky

Shade/sun - good clearing in the woods. Gets sun most of the day

Humidity - high!! Sometimes 100% in the mornings with lots of dew on the grass and trees.

Wind and smoke - little to mine.

Here's hoping to that few and moisture in the mornings helps!

It’s going to dry out quickly. Do a rain dance.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Less than .25" at my house in Dewitt. 2" at the property in Tuscola County

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
That storm on radar last night looked like it stretched from the bridge all the way down to StJoe. I don’t know how anyone in the lower dodged rain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live west of Grand Rapids and know what you're talking about. The rain constantly goes North, South and even East of me, sometimes only a mile away. We got a heavy rain on August 10th and I no tilled a few acres after this rain event, These areas remarkably look ok just surviving on dew. We were then supposed to have a full week of rain the week of the 23rd so I got the remaining 5 acres planted on the 21st... Well no rain came, it was all around but nothing here until last night we maybe got a 1/4". We'll see if any of the remaining seed germinates. I no till planted everything so areas with some moisture germinated but there's many empty patches. This deer farming business is maddening!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Only got .25 inches yesterday after I broadcasted my rye. Man that was a hell of a front working it's way southeast, it just lost a lot of strength by the time it got here. Oh well, in that plot it will be enough to germinate. Plus these nice cool nights with heavy dew.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Southern Jackson Dust Bowl :)
Planted main plot 3 weeks ago, shaded area is germinating but not much else.
We have had like .25 during that 3 week time, been pretty dusty.
Last Sunday I planted about 1/2 acre of trail and kill plot, got .5 on Tuesday night.
Late Sept Rye might have to save the day again this year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That storm on radar last night looked like it stretched from the bridge all the way down to StJoe. I don’t know how anyone in the lower dodged rain.

Amazes me every time I see it happen here. It seems like the majority of the time a front comes through with a distinct narrow line of showers like the other day they fall apart by us. I watched a small line of heavy showers ahead of the main line fall apart about 5 miles west of us. The main line had plenty of lightning to the west as it approached but split to the north and south.
It seems like this happens regularly to some folks, as was stated before there can be several reasons for it I just wonder what is coming into play by us.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts