Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

minnows...

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Itchin' to go 
#1 ·
The local bait shop has many different minnows for sale for many different prices.. of course shiners are the most expensive. Anyway, I may be going out tonight and if I do I want to pick up a couple dz before I go but I don't really know what to get. My first target during the outing is bluegills which obviously we'd use worms but after that I plan on targeting perch and/or walleyes, catfish, or bowfin(seen some big ones in there and i'd love to see the look on my girlfriends face when a 10+lb ugly fish is spooling her line)
So what would you guys suggest I get?

#2 ·
well, with perch, you want small shiners. walleye want larger shiners, though they are probably out in the big water now. cats love cut bait such as whole small gills, then cut chubs, etc... what i've found is that channels love raw shrimp sprayed with WD-40. dont ask why, must be the scent?

#5 ·
Thanks.. I'll be out in a boat.. probably fishing close to shore for the first part for the gills, then moving to weed beds in 5-7fow and then towards dusk I'll move to the edge of the weeds where the tall ones are around 10-15fow hoping the walleyes will be coming in to feed for the night and maybe I can catch a couple..

btw is it legal to use small bluegills for bait?

#13 ·
niice.. i was standing in the water earlier and minnows were all around my feet just biting my feet. Maybe I should cut my feet off and use them for bait?

For real though, I'm going to try dog food cuz we have a lot of that and the dog is so fat it won't hurt if I take some..

#18 ·
Well guys, the dog food didn't work too well.. I just caught a bunch of tiny bluegills in it.. got 1 minnow I believe it was a flat head but not sure.. It seemed like they were weary to go into the trap.. maybe I should make the bait stay in the middle of the trap though, that way they have to go in to get it? Or I'm going to try different bait as well...

#19 ·
sirslurpee said:
hahaha

oh by the way I got a minnow trap.. what could I use to bait it? bread?

I worked at tackle shop for about 6yrs when I was younger, where we caught our own minnows and wigglers. We generally used dry baby cereal in our traps or crackers. The baby cereal is a little easier to use.

Find a shallow spot in a river anything thats not real muddy, a sandy bottom works best. I put around a cup of baby food in, added water shake well and set the trap. 15 min. or so should tell you if your in the right place. If you prefer to catch them after dark, try a lighted boat launch on any lake or river, you'll catch all you want. (bring bug spray)

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.