Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

I tried calling Minn Kota to ask this but was in voicemail hell for 5 minutes both times before I hung up!:dizzy:
Here's my ? -
I just bought a new 40lb thrust Minn Kota electric motor -
They instruct me to install a 60 amp manual-reset circuit breaker in line with the trolling motor positive lead as close to the battery as possible.

This motor is only on my 14 ft. aluminum deep v fishing boat with a 15 hp Evinrude outboard gas engine (Ugly yellow w/ orange strip named Bonnie Wee 3 - named before I bought it).

The only other thing hooked up to my battery int he back is my lights on the boat.

DO I NEED TO INSTALL THE CIRCUIT BREAKER FOR THIS SITUATION????

Any help would be appreciated.

Also - THANK YOU to all of you for the fishing tips on this site - It has helped me immensly in my first year out there on the river trying for the walleyes. I'm now officially addicted!:fish:
Bob

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
It's not completely necessary, but it may void your warranty if you do not.
We are a MinnKota ASC, and have the part available for 39.99.

Ken
KD Outdoors
248-666-7799

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ken -
Thanks for the reply -
Is it a mountable piece (I don't really have any place to mount it - it's a basic setup of the powercord running from the Minn Kota directly to the battery inthe back of my boat.
I would think it would be a concern if I had other electrical on the boat - but I don't see (or don't know enough about electronics) how anything could blow the engine - just being hooked up to a battery w/ the only other thing hooked up to the battery are the stern/bow lights...
What would you do?
The Minn Kota only cost $200.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ninja said:
It's not completely necessary, but it may void your warranty if you do not.
We are a MinnKota ASC, and have the part available for 39.99.

Ken
KD Outdoors
248-666-7799
hi ken,also have the same question i bought a 70pd v2 / ap with co-pilot and my book says to install a 60 amp manual re-set circuit breaker in line with trolling motor positive as close to the battery as possible. ------ part # mkr-19 ----- i already have a 50 amp in line fuse, guess i could put a 60 amp fuse in there instead of the 50 amp right

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That motor shouldn't draw more than 40 amps. You should not need the 60 amp one, but you sure should have one in there. They aren't large and are easy to mount, probably can mount it right to your battery box. A $40 breaker is much better than a burned up motor, and a possible fire in your boat. They do make breakers that attach right to the battery post, then your positive lead for the motor attachs to the other end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts