Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have terrova and use the pedal the most, but I jig with 2 rods except in Canada. Remote is great for spot lock and consistent wind, but 95% of the time i use the pedal. That's just for the D River though.
Should mention the remote is handy when new people are on board. Get what you want and don't compromise.
Have you tried minnkota's customer service for a replacement or repair?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
A little trick I learned that I will share.

While jigging, when I setup at the top of the drift, I point my boat where I want the bow to be. I set the navigation by holding the "N" button. If you just hit it, it will be in GPS mode which you do NOT want. Hold the button and the "N" with the circle on your remote will go away. It will just show an "N". This puts it in Compass mode.

From here, you can make course and speed adjustments as necessary. With compass mode, the head will not return back to the GPS setting but instead will continue on in the course corrected direction. If you need to speed up, do so, slow down, etc. The big help is that if you have to go hands free (to net a fish, change a jig etc) the bow will stay pointed where you want it to go.

Just a little trick. After you get used to doing it, you will wonder why you never did it or tried it before.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A little trick I learned that I will share.

While jigging, when I setup at the top of the drift, I point my boat where I want the bow to be. I set the navigation by holding the "N" button. If you just hit it, it will be in GPS mode which you do NOT want. Hold the button and the "N" with the circle on your remote will go away. It will just show an "N". This puts it in Compass mode.

From here, you can make course and speed adjustments as necessary. With compass mode, the head will not return back to the GPS setting but instead will continue on in the course corrected direction. If you need to speed up, do so, slow down, etc. The big help is that if you have to go hands free (to net a fish, change a jig etc) the bow will stay pointed where you want it to go.

Just a little trick. After you get used to doing it, you will wonder why you never did it or tried it before.
I have a Terrova, and it has both conventional and advanced autopilot. In the conventional autopilot, the trolling motor stays pointed in the same direction, but the boat does not track along a preset straight line (as it does in advanced autopilot). Your description sounds like the conventional autopilot. Do you know if this is the same thing? I find this conventional autopilot to be very useful when jigging. I keep the motor pointed into the wind, and make minor adjustments to direction and speed. It keeps me from spinning in circles if I get distracted.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I have a Terrova, and it has both conventional and advanced autopilot. In the conventional autopilot, the trolling motor stays pointed in the same direction, but the boat does not track along a preset straight line (as it does in advanced autopilot). Your description sounds like the conventional autopilot. Do you know if this is the same thing? I find this conventional autopilot to be very useful when jigging. I keep the motor pointed into the wind, and make minor adjustments to direction and speed. It keeps me from spinning in circles if I get distracted.
IT is the same thing. The "N" with the circle navigates via GPS point. The "N" without the cirle navigates via compass heading.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a used V2 24V 60" w/ iPilot and a new in box Terrova 24V 60" (no iPilot) for sale. Was going to install the Terrova and remove my V2 and sell it, now I'm selling both and getting an Ulterra at some point.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would like to get $500 for the V2, I bought it in September of 2015. It doesn't have a ton of hours on it, but used. Not sure if anyone else has had it happened, but those things go ex-wife crazy every once in a while. One time, I was headed into a dock and turned it tight, started doing 3 or 4 circles in a row then it started working like it never happened. Another time just straight-lining at low speed & had to disconnect power to win. :eek:must have got bored and just fell asleep I guess lol.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lol. My dads pd does that too. He’s got the remote and the pedal stored away. No I pilot but he has the link so on/off, L&R, and up and down speed. Be trolling and turn left and the sob just keeps going left. Usually just click it off the. Turn it back on and works just fine. Think they just spaszzz out sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE ALL!
16,827 Posts
IT is the same thing. The "N" with the circle navigates via GPS point. The "N" without the cirle navigates via compass heading.
The compass only function is the legacy mode and GPS is the advanced AP.

I've used legacy more AP the same exact way you've described since I bought my 1st i-Pilot about 7-1/2 yrs. ago.

It certainly IS a nice feature, especially with wind and current.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
buy the terrova comes with remote & foot pedal you'll love the spot lock, no more anchors. Go with 24 Volt though more power holds spot better. I bought 12V and kick myself everyday. Good Luck
Do you have it hooked up to 2 batteries? That might help you out, that's how I run my 12 Terrova volt and don't have and problems.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE ALL!
16,827 Posts
That's 2 - batteries in parallel for more current capacity at 12 v (not series , 24v) ....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have the Terrova 80 w/I-Pilot link. Love the unit and have used it exclusively with the remote. Great addition and upgrade.
I’m in my 70’s and am wondering if I should link it to my Hummingbird.
Are the advantages worth the complexities of trying to figure it out. Currently not able to remember the process to use the Hummingbird effectively. Every trip is a new adventure

·
Registered
329 Posts
Lol. My dads pd does that too. He’s got the remote and the pedal stored away. No I pilot but he has the link so on/off, L&R, and up and down speed. Be trolling and turn left and the sob just keeps going left. Usually just click it off the. Turn it back on and works just fine. Think they just spaszzz out sometimes.
I have a buddy his pd does the same thing. Its been serviced still goofy, he has an ulterra this year. I have had a terrova for 5 plus yrs. never a problem. Rich is right about the N function keeps your boat right when landing fish
Terrova gets my vote

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I have a buddy his pd does the same thing. Its been serviced still goofy, he has an ulterra this year. I have had a terrova for 5 plus yrs. never a problem. Rich is right about the N function keeps your boat right when landing fish
Terrova gets my vote
Ultimately an Ulterra would get my vote. Have a Terrova now with Ipilot and love it but the self deploy/stow would be the cat’s ***. As it is now though my electric is practically worth more than my actual boat so I don’t think I’ll be upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.