Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Minkota Powerdrive trolling motor last fall.I found today if I want to use the i pilot feature my corded foot control is no longer usable.I'm torn between taking the I pilot back to Cabelas and staying with the foot contorl or converting to the handheld remote i pilot .Please give me some advice guys.I'm new to these electric trolling motors.

·
47,841 Posts
I use the remote for walleye jigging and sometimes jigging musky (if its rough water). Casting I use the foot pedal. Calm seas musky jigging I use the foot pedal.

My terrova ipilot link can run with both... What's different with the PD?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use the remote for walleye jigging and sometimes jigging musky (if its rough water). Casting I use the foot pedal. Calm seas musky jigging I use the foot pedal.

I bought a ulterra last spring. Mine came with foot control and remote. I've used the foot control when I forgot the remote in the truck. My pedal does almost everything the remote does!

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,809 Posts

The PDv2 has to have the pedal completely removed, and the plug is populated W/i-Pilot/Link input.

I've had the standard i-Pilot and am running the Link now - 7 years and no pedal now....

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If you can still return the motor you can trade it for the Terrova then you have the option of using either the remote or the foot pedal. I have had the powerdrive ipilot for several years and have never missed the foot pedal except for jigging the river when if I'd had the foot pedal I could have jigged with 2 rods.
There was a thread on walleye central a couple years ago showing how to wire a powerdrive to use either the remote or foot pedal. I actually saved the instructions but never got around to doing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you can return it do so . If you think you want both the remote and foot pedal now it is just going to eat at you and eat at you . Get what you want now and BE HAPPY. As you know fishing is just going to get your money on one thing or another. At least it does with me

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys,thanks for your input.Return is not an option as I have used the motor for a week or 2 last fall.I pilot it is going to be! Too many good features on it to worry about no foot pedal.I'm old and onlyfish one rod at a time

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Use the remote, my pedal is disconnected and stored in a compartment. I only keep it handy in case the remotes battery dies.

Also, I found out you can program multiple remotes to a single iPilot, so I purchased a second remote to use if a person gets a fish, there is a second controller. Got tired of handing remote back and forth

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Use the remote, my pedal is disconnected and stored in a compartment. I only keep it handy in case the remotes battery dies.

Also, I found out you can program multiple remotes to a single iPilot, so I purchased a second remote to use if a person gets a fish, there is a second controller. Got tired of handing remote back and forth
I carry multiples as well. Also carry extra batteries.

If you really want to have some fun, program your remote to your buddies TM. Next time you are jigging, pull up next to him and move is trolling motor all around! I still have a buddy that thinks his TM is possessed!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ok guys,thanks for your input.Return is not an option as I have used the motor for a week or 2 last fall.I pilot it is going to be! Too many good features on it to worry about no foot pedal.I'm old and onlyfish one rod at a time
You won’t be sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought a new Minkota Powerdrive trolling motor last fall.I found today if I want to use the i pilot feature my corded foot control is no longer usable.I'm torn between taking the I pilot back to Cabelas and staying with the foot contorl or converting to the handheld remote i pilot .Please give me some advice guys.I'm new to these electric trolling motors.
I would upgrade to the Terrova instead of upgrading the PD. Then you can have both the remote and the foot pedal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.