Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am not a trapper in fact I have only ever set traps to protect my birds I use for dog training I normaly set a live trap so I dont kill the cats around I have caught rabbits in the traps coons by the ton and house cats but this year I caught a mink I have never heard of it and maybe should of taken a pic but he was very happy to be turn free I took him back to my pond and let him loose I set a live trap at the base of my bird pens to catch the coons that like to kill my pigions

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
You'll find Mink where they find a food source.
Although not commonly caught in live traps they do work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
While I usually set footholds for mink,I have taken a good number in cage traps set for coon.My first one was quite the surprise as I was expecting a big coon.After catching the first one I switched baits from fish to muskrat.The rat carcass was tied in the back with decoy cord.Those red river mink would not leave that rat till they had set off the trap.
That very first cage trap took 6 mink in 7 days.Unusual to say the least,but at the time there was a population explosion of rusty crayfish.Mink were coming from far and wide to this area.
This past season I did catch 2 mink the same night in colony traps set 6 feet apart.
It just goes to show you,if you try differant things,some end up working well.
Tom Olson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts