Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is going salmon fishing and was planning on taking his kids, age 1 and 5. He wants to keep a limit of fish for each of them, does anyone know if this is allowable?

I read somewhere that the person had to be able to "fish," as in cast and reel the line in themselves. However, there would be a ton of loopholes in a regulation like that because it would be discriminatory against the handicap or elderly.

If anyone can provide me any info that would be great!

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
If he's fishing the big lake I don't know if it's allowable but it's probably not doable!

·
Registered
967 Posts
If the kids can reel them in, it's not a boat limit but a individual limit, and I don't know to any 5 yr olds or younger that can reel in a king

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
They have to be able to hook and land their fish. You can't catch fish for other people. I learned this the hard way on the Au Sable years ago, when I gave a steelhead to a guy who'd been there all day with nothing. I had limited out in the morning, came back down in the afternoon, hooked up and gave it to the guy. Officer Wells gave me a ticket for over the limit. I'd not try it...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
They have to be able to hook and land their fish. You can't catch fish for other people. I learned this the hard way on the Au Sable years ago, when I gave a steelhead to a guy who'd been there all day with nothing. I had limited in the morning, came back down in the afternoon, hooked up and gave it to the guy. Officer Wells gave me a ticket for over the limit. I'd not try it...
So when a charter guy hands off a rod is he in violation

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know where I can find the actual law or regulations regarding this issue? I haven't been able to find anything in the Michigan fishing regulations as of yet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I doubt that it is that specifically codified. You'd probably be ok on a 5 year old, but certainly not on one year old. If you like further info you should be posting in the law section, where all the arm chair lawyers will also chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
There is no law that specifically addresses it. When a child is physically able to catch a legal fish, they can keep the legal fish they catch in their own limit.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if the generally consensus is true, handicaps or those physically unable to land a fish, have no legal standing to take fish for his/her own consumption. I suppose I can look at case law and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So if the generally consensus is true, handicaps or those physically unable to land a fish, have no legal standing to take fish for his/her own consumption. I suppose I can look at case law and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the info so far.
we can only hope law enforcement can distinguish between a quadriplegic and a one year old...

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I'm sure there is no published case law regarding this topic.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Apples and oranges man.......are your children (leagally) handicapped? Cheat the system and eventually you will get caught. How would he feel trying to explain to his five year old why dad is in trouble with the law? I'd suggest your friend think about setting a good example about following the regulations to his children.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I fish with my kids 6 and 4 I will put rods out for my 6 year old because she can handle a king with help but very little I don't put them out for my 4 year old because he doesn't have the ability yet. I think he probably knows the right answer the 1 year old is out of the question but 5 year old really depends on kids ability is this his first time fisjing? Has he caught fish before?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Migunner - I would tell your friend to adhere to the spirit of the law and set a good example for his kids.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I thought they had changed the law a few years back to mean if you take kids under a certain age with you then you were limited to the adults limit total for parent and child. I don't know

Ganzer

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
...and I don't know to any 5 yr olds or younger that can reel in a king
I've seen some kids 4-5 yrs old that seem to do ok. Do they need a little help holding the rod up? Sure. But so did some of the 80+ yr old men and women I've seen trying to reel in a full core on the boat.

If you have to do everything, then obviously you can't count their limit of fish OR rods. But, I would think that if the child is old enough to mostly do it on their own, you should be ok.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
I was out this spring fishing for browns with my girls (6 and 9) and ran rods for both of them. The 9 year old has been first mate since birth and landing fish since she was 3. The 6 year old is catching up. Besides, it's rare to catch anything in close that's going to cause an issue reeling it in.

We were out in 80' a few weeks ago catching a mixed bag of kings and coho. I ran rods for the 9 year old as she can handle kings with some help and coho on her own. I did not run rods for the 6 year old.

I fished the channel for mature kings last week with both girls on the boat. I did not run rods for either, as they cannot handle large fish in close quarters until in the middle of the lake where we've got room. That and 3 rods was plenty in that traffic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.