Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of this but never seen a video or had it explained so well. Maybe some of you have already viewed this as it is a few years old. From Mississippi State University, who put out a ton of whitetail info. Very interesting, IMO.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
I've heard of this but never seen a video or had it explained so well. Maybe some of you have already viewed this as it is a few years old. From Mississippi State University, who put out a ton of whitetail info. Very interesting, IMO.

Excellent video Dish. Of course, we have always known that deer like browsing the stump sprouts, but I never realized that they contained minerals on steroids. It just so happens, I know where I've got some Red Maples on my property which may well become my next "test tube subjects". LOL

It also explains why you can go from this...

Flowerpot Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood

to this....in one summer!

Plant Twig Branch Wood Tree

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
If you hinge cut your trees before the sap runs they will leaf out and dry the wood to make firewood this fall.
Well...it looks like you've left everyone "speechless" on this one Martin Looker - no replies for 2 days? Are you spoofing us again? :)

I have never heard of anyone hinge cutting a tree in order to dry it out faster for this years' firewood. When I hinge cut a tree, my primary objective is to keep the tipped over tree connected to its root structure so that water and nutrients can continue to flow to the upper tree to keep it alive - hopefully for many years.

If I am looking for firewood I will always do a felling cut and then buck it up and split it so it will dry out fast. I just can't imagine a hinge-cut tree drying out any faster than that.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
What ever you say, you're the ex pert
Not claiming to be an expert M L...but I have cut a lot of firewood over the years to feed several fireplaces, wood stoves and my maple syrup evaporator...and I have also hinge cut quite a few trees in more recent years and this has been my experience. Probably why I find myself with 4 chainsaws and 2 wood splitters these days.

Don't get me wrong, I have ended up converting some hinge cut trees to firewood when they died, but my goal is always to try to keep the hinge cut trees alive as long as possible.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
If you hinge cut your trees before the sap runs they will leaf out and dry the wood to make firewood this fall.
Just to make sure........when you say hinge cut, do you mean to cut part way thru and then tip the tree over so that some outer layers and bark are still carrying water/nutrients up and sugars down ?
Or do you mean to drop the tree onto the ground away from the stump ?

L & O

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
21,517 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have cut as much firewood as you but I don't claim to be the ex pert.
Ya. You probably shouldn't claim such...

Any pics of shoot growth on a stump , or descriptions of stumps you've sprouted you want to compliment the O.P. with?

Hinge cutting for habitat work (keeping tree alive being the goal) is far different from keeping a trunks stump end off the ground after killing it deliberately for firewood.
The original posts pics kinda hint of the subject not being hinge cuts anyways.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like this and gonna try it. But also could it be that deer are just giant fans of the red maple leaf??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
The guy in the video stated that they purposely chose red maple because of its' low deer browse preference. Also said it should apply to any plant that will resprout.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The guy in the video stated that they purposely chose red maple because of its' low deer browse preference. Also said it should apply to any plant that will resprout.
I had a biologist tell me last year during a consultation that red maple is the 2nd most browsed tree in Michigan next to Aspen. His theory was because it's so prevalent. Deer love Red Maple leaves and buds of any age tree.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
I like this and gonna try it. But also could it be that deer are just giant fans of the red maple leaf??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I had a biologist tell me last year during a consultation that red maple is the 2nd most browsed tree in Michigan next to Aspen. His theory was because it's so prevalent. Deer love Red Maple leaves and buds of any age tree.
I have mostly Sugar Maples here although I do have some Red Maple in wetter areas. Not sure on the Red Maple at the moment but the Sugar Maple is a highly preferred browse species here.

I get good stump sprouting from Ash as well ...

Plant Wood Twig Grass Natural landscape

Plant Natural landscape Twig Wood Branch

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.