Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Milorganite Fertilizer on Brassicas

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Plant175 
#1 ·
How long after planting do you plant do you fertilize with Milorganite. I’m looking at it for more of a browse deterrent that a fertilizer additive. I’ll be using urea 4-5 weeks from planting for growth boost. Looking for advice

#5 · (Edited)
Tried it last year. I applied the Milogranite when I planted. I didn't want to come back walk all over small newly germinated plants. Then some more when the plants were a few inches high. Maybe helped, maybe didn't. I should have just done half the plot to see if there was difference.

#8 ·
I've added milorgante anytime after plants reach a couple of inches or more. For me it seems to help limit browse pressure for a couple of weeks, which can help young plants get established enough to better handle browsing. I broadcast it liberally and the smell/ stink is strong for days. Deer don't totally avoid area as I see fresh tracks in it but it seems to curb their appetites. Last week I applied a second dose into an area planted with the milpa mix from green cover (squashes, melons, brassicas etc) as they are producing lots of flowers and setting fruit. Planted area was an experiment but so far so good. Hoping milorganite will allow fruits to achieve some size, and maybe last into fall.

#9 ·
I haven't used it on the farm. It's pretty darn expensive as a 'fertilizer'.

However, my bride uses it regularly at our residence to repel deer.

And though I was initially skeptical it is seemingly working. She's happy that her hostas, impatiens, etc aren't being totally devastated as they had been previously.

#10 ·
This is just like when I see the sewage sludge injected in our local farm ground. If my farmer neighbor tried I would have it stopped as soon as I saw the injector. At least your Deer will have all the pharmaceuticals in their system that the people passed through their system.

#14 ·
We’ll I think with the lack of rain since I planted I won’t have to worry about deer in the plot. I’d be surprised if there is a plot. Since planting I missed 5 significant rain events by a few miles. Those are the breaks. Looks like it’ll be rye to the rescue again. Next year I am switching Jeff’s no till to try to help the lack of rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.