Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
i hunted around there opening day and a few other times since then..prolly 5 miles east of there anyways. im not gonna give away my location but ille tell you this..my at one time "honeyhole" has turned into a crowded circus of skyblasters..7 other partys besides me on a 300yrdx300yrd swamp..what a disapointment!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
i hunted around there opening day and a few other times since then..prolly 5 miles east of there anyways. im not gonna give away my location but ille tell you this..my at one time "honeyhole" has turned into a crowded circus of skyblasters..7 other partys besides me on a 300yrdx300yrd swamp..what a disappointment!
It sucks, that's what things are turning into. The secret is out, duck hunting is fun! Are they still out later in the year? It seems like the weekend warriors/opener guys are just about done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sucks, that's what things are turning into. The secret is out, duck hunting is fun! Are they still out later in the year? It seems like the weekend warriors/opener guys are just about done.
i work 3rd shift so the past few years ive got into the habit of spending my weekends hunting deer and only hunting ducks in the a.m. throughout the week after i get out of work. i get out at a time where i can grab some quick breakfast and coffee..throw the gear in the truck and be set up before sunrise. most often than not i have the spots to myself during the week...but other times the damage has already been done. went to hunt my opening day spot this morning and found that not only did other hunters stomp down ever peice of cattail that i used for cover but there was a huge mess of cig butts. beer and pop bottles. empty shells. and trash all over the ground.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No but theres a few spots i wish i could hunt in millington lol i live in davison

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No but theres a few spots i wish i could hunt in millington lol i live in davison

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I've probably got one of those spots I just couldn't believe how many shots we heard after 7 pm on the state land at the end of arbela

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
It's nothing new. I've been at this a loooooong time...since the 70's. It actually used to be much worse. Our hunter numbers are down drastically since my early days hunting. So it's all relative to your experience. Plus, we had many years of much more restrictive regulations, such as 3 duck limit years. In fact some would say these are "the good ol' days".

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It's nothing new. I've been at this a loooooong time...since the 70's. It actually used to be much worse. Our hunter numbers are down drastically since my early days hunting. So it's all relative to your experience. Plus, we had many years of much more restrictive regulations, such as 3 duck limit years. In fact some would say these are "the good ol' days".
I've only been at this for a short time, but I have heard that people like these limits a lot better than way back when.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I've only been at this for a short time, but I have heard that people like these limits a lot better than way back when.
yeah don't even bring up the old "point system". You'll get a thread running pages and pages :lol:

Funny things is back when the limit was 3 birds a day, many of us were happier because we "limited out" more often :dizzy:

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
honey holes do not stay honey holes too long on public hunting grounds. when others see you shooting ducks there on a regular basis, they will beat you to the spot. I am not surprised.

·
Registered
47 Posts
honey holes do not stay honey holes too long on public hunting grounds. when others see you shooting ducks there on a regular basis, they will beat you to the spot. I am not surprised.
no surprise here either..a good spot rarely lasts more than a season without being swomped with other hunters..all you can do is deal with it and keep scouting..now that the opening week warriors are dwindling off its time to have some fun

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had better luck at my spot when more people were hunting there kept the birds moving most of the day that's the good thing about private land next to state land

1 - 12 of 12 Posts