Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Michigan resident and my 16 year old son and I drew a bear tag for New Berry zone. I am in the Army stationed in Kansas. I am taking leave September 26th - October 4th. I bear hunting about 25 years ago near Bear Lake, but was unsuccesful. This is probably a one shot deal, since once my son gets his driver's license I think MI will consider him a Kansas resident. I am looking for a place to go or any help. I have a camper that we will probably stay in that to save money. I could probably afford about $400 for a semi-guide. We have waterfowl, deer, turkey and small game hunted for years, but will not have the opportunity to put any bait or anything out. I would, of course, love for each of us to get a bear, but more important, I want him to get one. If there is anyone that is willing to help or point us in the right direction I would appreciate it. I would prefer to hunt out of baited ground blinds if possible. If anyone is willing to help, I can be reached via emal at [email protected]. Thank you in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I am a Michigan resident and my 16 year old son and I drew a bear tag for New Berry zone. I am in the Army stationed in Kansas. I am taking leave September 26th - October 4th. I bear hunting about 25 years ago near Bear Lake, but was unsuccesful. This is probably a one shot deal, since once my son gets his driver's license I think MI will consider him a Kansas resident. I am looking for a place to go or any help. I have a camper that we will probably stay in that to save money. I could probably afford about $400 for a semi-guide. We have waterfowl, deer, turkey and small game hunted for years, but will not have the opportunity to put any bait or anything out. I would, of course, love for each of us to get a bear, but more important, I want him to get one. If there is anyone that is willing to help or point us in the right direction I would appreciate it. I would prefer to hunt out of baited ground blinds if possible. If anyone is willing to help, I can be reached via emal at [email protected]. Thank you in advance.

Tom
Tom,

I would double check your son's residency status with the DNR. If he is domiciled with you in Kansas, Michigan may already consider him a KS resident even if you are still a MI resident and he was born here. I had to play that game for 30 years at the different places we were stationed. While on active duty, I could keep my Florida residency but the wife could not. The dependent kids usually would fall under the place you're stationed at even though they were born somewhere else. It may depend on how the state interprets it. I'd hate to see you or your son get in a fix over a residency interpretation and ruin a hunt. Plus with the Army getting ready to eliminate 40K folks....don't make you self a target with a civil infraction. My lowly two cents.....John

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Michigan considers minors residents who live out of state but that have one or both parent a MI resident. Leason learned as a veteran and divorced dad who's girls live out of state.

Have you made any progress Tom?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Actually I think I had that a little wrong. Michigan considers all minors residents regardless of parent's residency status. My friend's boys from Indiana were able to get junior license for years.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Gotta be careful here. I got into a little fix a few years ago where I had to go to the Michigan Tax Tribunal and fight some property homestead/residency tax issues. We were renting our home here and I was transferred to another state. The township had some murky rules that changed in midstream. My saving grace was the Michigan home was the only one I owned even though I lived out of state and was a Florida resident. It's a long story but if I had owned another home in another state, I was hosed...even as a military bubba. In this case for a dependent son not living in Michigan...I don't know. There are different residency definitions depending on what you're trying to do. The different residency definitions I seen doing a Google were for divorce, taxes, school and tuition. Then we get into a domicile and a residence and what you're trying to do. I found out some of the tax and legal folks are not always up to speed on how to handle the military folks and their unique situations.

Anyway....if I was in those shoes, I'd call Lansing and confirm I was good to go to remove all doubt.

For taxes:

206.18 Resident and domicile; definitions.

Sec. 18.

(1) “Resident” means:

(a) An individual domiciled in the state. “Domicile” means a place where a person has his true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment to which, whenever absent therefrom he intends to return, and domicile continues until another permanent establishment is established. If an individual during the taxable year being a resident becomes a nonresident or vice versa, taxable income shall be determined separately for income in each status. If an individual lives in this state at least 183 days during the tax year or more than 1/2 the days during a taxable year of less than 12 months he shall be deemed a resident individual domiciled in this state.

(b) The estate of a decedent who at his death was domiciled in this state.

(c) Any trust created by will of a decedent who at his death was domiciled in this state and any trust created by, or consisting of property of, a person domiciled in this state, at the time the trust becomes irrevocable.

(2) For the purpose of the definition of “resident”, a taxable year shall be deemed to be terminated at the date of death.

(3) The term “resident” when referring to a corporation means a corporation organized under the laws of this state.

History: 1967, Act 281, Eff. Oct. 1, 1967

From the DNR website:

To qualify for a resident fishing license, you must:

• Be a person who resides in a settled or permanent home or domicile within the boundaries of this state with the intention of remaining in this state, or
  • Be a full-time student at a Michigan college or university, and reside in Michigan, or
  • Serve full-time in the U.S. Military and be either officially stationed in Michigan or maintain residency in Michigan.
The ownership of land in Michigan by itself is not qualification for a resident license.

The following special provisions exist:

Residents serving in the Armed Forces: Active-duty military members who enlisted as Michigan residents and have maintained resident status for the purposes of obtaining a driver’s license or voting may obtain a resident all-species license at no cost. Applicants must present proof of military status when applying for the free license. Proof of military status may include military ID, leave papers, duty papers, military orders or other evidence verifying that the applicant is a member of the military. This license, available at DNR Customer Service Centers and at license retail outlets statewide, is valid for the license year. Military members receiving a free license must present the license, along with proof of military status, if requested by a conservation officer. Note: non-resident, active-duty military personnel officially stationed in Michigan qualify for Michigan resident rates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No progress yet. I know we are going to be leaving KS on Sep 26 and I have to be back Oct 4.

I talked with MI DNR about it. I had to use my home of record address for him. Luckly, Kansas has a stipulation in their reg that full time KS students can buy in state licenses. Last year they said since he bought a KS resident turkey tag he could not participate in draws as a MI resident. I had to point out the full time student clause and explain he is still a MI resident. MI DNR agreed, finally.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
No progress yet. I know we are going to be leaving KS on Sep 26 and I have to be back Oct 4.

I talked with MI DNR about it. I had to use my home of record address for him. Luckly, Kansas has a stipulation in their reg that full time KS students can buy in state licenses. Last year they said since he bought a KS resident turkey tag he could not participate in draws as a MI resident. I had to point out the full time student clause and explain he is still a MI resident. MI DNR agreed, finally.
Congrats!! Glad that worked out and everyone is good to go. Keep notes on who you spoke to at the DNR just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts