Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you are shooting the old rifles,I have a 96 swede and K-31 Swiss, both real good shooters.They are a lot of gun for the price.
Do you guys have any favorites of your own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have two mil surps, one Enfield #4 in .303 British and an Enfield 2A1 in 7.62 X 51 (.308 Winchester). Both are fun to shoot, but the .303 is getting scarce on the surplus ammo market. Military .308 is some of the cheapest ammo found these days, it is cheaper buying surplus than reloading your own. Both rifles are suitable for hunting deer if you're not walking too far, because they are heavier than sporting rifles. However this makes for a lot lighter recoil than from a sporter in the same caliber. The nice thing about these two calibers is that commercial soft point ammunition is readily availible for deer hunting.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have a Belgin made FN FAL kit that I'm working on. When it's done I'd like to pick up a 98 Mauser. FRANK.

Bonz 54

It's like Christmas, with Guns...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those M94 Swede's are sweet my brother has one,they are getting pretty hard to find no one seems to want to part with them.I have never had a chance to shoot the Enfield. one in a 308 would be a nice pick up but I've have not came across one yet,did it come in a #4 mark 2 version.I have a 8mm in m48 Yugo and7.62x54r in a 91/31 and m39 Finn and had pretty good luck with the 8mm ammo from yugo and rominia,the 7.62x54r chezk and albaian ammo shoot's pretty good also.only bad batch of surplus ammo i have gotten so far was from equador in 8 mm.looks like the primers went bad.I reload for the 6.5x55 and the k-31.
Went to the gun show in Birch Run last weekend they still have some 24/47 and k98 Mausers for a fair price.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Crobar said:
Those M94 Swede's are sweet my brother has one,they are getting pretty hard to find no one seems to want to part with them.I have never had a chance to shoot the Enfield. one in a 308 would be a nice pick up but I've have not came across one yet,did it come in a #4 mark 2 version.I have a 8mm in m48 Yugo and7.62x54r in a 91/31 and m39 Finn and had pretty good luck with the 8mm ammo from yugo and rominia,the 7.62x54r chezk and albaian ammo shoot's pretty good also.only bad batch of surplus ammo i have gotten so far was from equador in 8 mm.looks like the primers went bad.I reload for the 6.5x55 and the k-31.
Went to the gun show in Birch Run last weekend they still have some 24/47 and k98 Mausers for a fair price.
The 2-As are like the No1 Mk3s except made in 308 Win.
I have a 4-2 303 Fazerkly That was made in 1955 bought it NIB. Have a lot of fun shooting that one. There are still a lot of decent ones floating around [8mm and the M-91s and 44s]. Had a 91 that shot the silver tip 762x54R into 1-1/2 inch groups with iron sights! That was a great gun. Had the range master at Williams see that, the day I went out there shooting. The 2 guys next to me sighting in their 30-30s for deer hunting [with scopes] just couldnt believe an "old" gun like that with no scope could out shoot their scoped 30-30s! too funny.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the iron sights on the Mosin Nagants are the easyiest to see myself,that 91 is it a dragoon those are real old,from the days of the Czar.My 91/30 is a Tula with a hex reciever it points great and really likes the silver tip ammo also.the 44 and 38's are fun to shoot if you like the flames but have a bit more kick with those short barrels.

My brother has a beat up 8mm turk he put on some mojo sights and will break clay pidgons all day laying on the 100 yard berm,people will walk down ask him what he's got and what he paid then walk away shaking there heads when he tells them 80 bucks.They cant believe it and they are shooting 800-1000 dollars guns when you add in the optics.

The #4 mark 2 they say has the best trigger of all the Enfields have you found this to be true with yours.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I still have my first rifle which was a WWI .303 Enfield No. 1 Mk III that cost $15.88. My favorites are the various '98 Mausers, 1903 Springfields, U.S. 1917 Enfields and Krags. You get the idea. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Crobar said:
I think the iron sights on the Mosin Nagants are the easyiest to see myself,that 91 is it a dragoon those are real old,from the days of the Czar.My 91/30 is a Tula with a hex reciever it points great and really likes the silver tip ammo also.the 44 and 38's are fun to shoot if you like the flames but have a bit more kick with those short barrels.

My brother has a beat up 8mm turk he put on some mojo sights and will break clay pidgons all day laying on the 100 yard berm,people will walk down ask him what he's got and what he paid then walk away shaking there heads when he tells them 80 bucks.They cant believe it and they are shooting 800-1000 dollars guns when you add in the optics.

The #4 mark 2 they say has the best trigger of all the Enfields have you found this to be true with yours.
for a military gun. I have the Hex reciever and the rounded type. Have shot the shorties too [44/38s] and your right about the fireball. Much similar to a carbine Rem 30-06 auto/pumps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have a 96 Swede that I've fitted with a thumbhole stock and a 3x9 Bausch&Lomb scope. It's the most accurate gun I own. It shoots the Winchester 140 gr PSP really well. Alot easier on the shouder than my .300 Ultra Mag.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Used to shoot a 6.5 Japanese mauser that my grandfather brought home for deer hunting. That rifle was a tack-driver!! Same can be said for a 6.5 Swede mauser that I bought customized. A few bucks fell silent when hit by both! I cannot say enough about the accuracy, although the Swede was a better built rifle.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That 6.5x55 is a great round and the Swede's made some of the best Mausers out there,And it's not a shoulder breaker which is always nice to have around good all purpose rifle and very accurtue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts