Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw about 1,000 birds today on the grand river, too bad they were just huge flocks of swans but at least something is migrating down before the end of season:dizzy:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
saw a lot of swans today too. Looks like we lost a lot of geese over the last week and what few mallards came in earlier in nov have bugged out as well.

seeing a ton of doves around right now....

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Swans "Moving" is a good thing, exactly what we want to happen. What follows is them fatty's................:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
ALOT of birds caught the tail wind that occured friday! Lake erie was holding some good numbers till fri. Today was terrible!

·
Registered
160 Posts
ALOT of birds caught the tail wind that occured friday! Lake erie was holding some good numbers till fri. Today was terrible!
No wind to get them up yesterday either... I bet were still holding some..

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Swans "Moving" is a good thing, exactly what we want to happen. What follows is them fatty's................:)
Yep, but the other part of the swan equation that I learned several years back from a couple old-timers on the bay is that the big bunches of swans also signals the end of our migration...first the bunches of swans come, then 2 or 3 days later the big fatties, then about 2 or 3 days later it's over. Can't say I agree or disagree from personal experience, but these guys have hunted the bay since the 50's, and I guess I have to believe them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The geese seem to have moved on but I am seeing more mallards than I have seen in years.:D

The problem is they are all sitting in a flooded field that I can't access until after deer season. Normally this is not a problem as I get a week or so of fantastic hunts after Nov. 30. Unfortunatley the owner now has a muzzleloader. I kind of doubt the birds will hang around until the 2 day in January.:rant:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what are fatties? lots of geese on the west side here. seen an influx of divers but still very few mallards, hoping for a good last weekend. did not see one bird in the air last night on the grand river.

WE STILL NEED TO PUSH THE SEASON BACK ONE WEEK, DEC HUNTING IS MUCH BETTER THAN OCT 1ST HUNTING!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Went out this morning.......Very few ducks. Just Geese and swans.
IMO the fatties are "Gone " ! NW wind most of the night and this morning it pushed our remaining birds south. And NO new birds came in......What you have now is all your going to get.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Seems like the ducks that were around all left this weekend! Scouted to ck for them last night, and didn't ind much at all. Seems like when they leave the west side their are never any fresh birds to take their place! All I hope for now is cold, cold weather. Make the locals come out to play when water starts freezing up.
Still some geese around, but they are getting smart as well!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I hunted every freaking day last week, I found lots of mallards, and they were big fat ones. I love a big fat one.

managed two mallards in three days of hunting hard on a public lake. Not for lack of birds, but I could not get them to finish. The two I did get were the only two stupid drakes in the bunches of around 1000 birds. The birds were very talkative too, they responded very well to my calls, I could get them to swing three times then they would set down 50 yards to a 100 yards beside me, along the shore line. I tried just about everything, more decoys, less decoys, I even went back to a couple Mojo's, and no luck. My boat blind was brushed in very well I think. I would get there early enough to gather local branches from the shore line and I brushed it in heavy, had to tie down the one side of the blind to keep it from flipping over. The bank behind me was around 30 feet tall, so my background was good, i was not profiled. I was even under a lot of over hanging tree limbs. So I am sure my blind blended in. It put a serious piss off on me too. To have that many birds flying around you and none to really commit............. I dang near pulled the drain plug on my boat and bought a set of golf clubs. They all dissapered last Wednesday evening, because on Thursday morning we only saw a few small flocks. Switched it up about ten miles away in a marsh that has been decent this year for me, and we only had one flock of around 20 birds come in right at 10:00 am. Suprised us, we were in the woods peeing, talking and snacking. In this spot we ditch the boat and sit on shore. We are hid as good as you be. We all missed the birds, so oh well. Hunted Sunday there again and not one bird to be seen, not one duck all morning. I gave up.

Should I take off this Thursday and Friday from work and hunt 4 days, or just Friday.... I dunno. I don't think this cold weather moving in is soon enough to get us new birds, I hope I am wrong...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts