Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone could give me a general area of where to go for the opener of duck season. I would usually travel up to the newberry area, but I dont think it will be work it this year as I have to go back to college sunday night and thats alittle far for 1 1/2 days of hunting. So any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
C'mon man. Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm another year older today :yikes:, but do you honestly think on the tuesday before the saturday opener up there that asking that kind of question will get you any decent information? Or since you asked for "general information", but left it completely wide open, how about if I say "I'd try 'generally' north of a line following M-20 west to east, but south of Ontario...how's that for general? Geez...this website is getting as bad as Nodak outdoors with the internet scouters asking for info. :dizzy:

Sorry bud, but the reality of it is Water Hazard gave you as good of information as you're likely to get.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am wondering if anyone could give me a general area of where to go for the opener of duck season. I would usually travel up to the newberry area, but I dont think it will be work it this year as I have to go back to college sunday night and thats alittle far for 1 1/2 days of hunting. So any ideas?
Thanks
Welcome to the site! I'd really like to give you more detailed info, but zone 2 is pretty big. Where are ya, and how far are you willing to drive? What kind of gear do you have? Are you looking to walk in or take some sort of boat? Guys on this site are usually pretty good about giving info (usually through a private message), but unless you're somewhat specific (is that a contradiction in terms?) you won't get many responses other than what you've already gotten: big public marshes with a gazillion hunters.
Example:
You're in Mt. Pleaseant, you're a starving college kid and only have gas money for about a two hour drive max, and you only have waders and a dozen decoys and want somewhere to walk in. Somebody will probably throw ya a bone via a pm for one of their "plan B" (or C, or D) spots. If you're lucky an alumnus from your school might even invite you along (hey, you can dream, right?).
Beyond this advice and the other advice you've been given, I'd say haul out a state map and look for the state land. Then go to google earth or terra server and explore those areas looking for water. You'd be surprised what you can find.... One last thing: Post up regularly. If people see that you're a willing participant on the site, you'll find there are a lot more opportunities that will come your way.... I hope you have some good shooting this weekend!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
C'mon man. Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm another year older today :yikes:, but do you honestly think on the tuesday before the saturday opener up there that asking that kind of question will get you any decent information? Or since you asked for "general information", but left it completely wide open, how about if I say "I'd try 'generally' north of a line following M-20 west to east, but south of Ontario...how's that for general? Geez...this website is getting as bad as Nodak outdoors with the internet scouters asking for info. :dizzy:

Sorry bud, but the reality of it is Water Hazard gave you as good of information as you're likely to get.
Happy b-day JD

Welcome to the site! I'd really like to give you more detailed info, but zone 2 is pretty big. Where are ya, and how far are you willing to drive? What kind of gear do you have? Are you looking to walk in or take some sort of boat? Guys on this site are usually pretty good about giving info (usually through a private message), but unless you're somewhat specific (is that a contradiction in terms?) you won't get many responses other than what you've already gotten: big public marshes with a gazillion hunters.
Example:
You're in Mt. Pleaseant, you're a starving college kid and only have gas money for about a two hour drive max, and you only have waders and a dozen decoys and want somewhere to walk in. Somebody will probably throw ya a bone via a pm for one of their "plan B" (or C, or D) spots. If you're lucky an alumnus from your school might even invite you along (hey, you can dream, right?).
Beyond this advice and the other advice you've been given, I'd say haul out a state map and look for the state land. Then go to google earth or terra server and explore those areas looking for water. You'd be surprised what you can find.... One last thing: Post up regularly. If people see that you're a willing participant on the site, you'll find there are a lot more opportunities that will come your way.... I hope you have some good shooting this weekend!
Very good advise.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Example:
Well put.:coolgleam

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
Okay I apologize for jumping him a bit. I'll back up. If you want to hitch a ride and hunt with someone, there's often more than a few willing to take a person along, including me. So a better question may have been, as Shlwego said, "I'm a starving college kid...anyone got room for another gun in their party?" That would've probably gotten you several offers. But ya gotta understand, many guys treat the opener as sacred, and they aren't gonna give up much info three days before the opener.

Thanks cadillacjethro. As my first boss used to say..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was" :evilsmile

·
Registered
724 Posts
Already put very nicely by the others above.

I feel your problems though, about 15 years ago I was a newbie to Michigan for college and had to leave all of my tried and true waterfowl hotspots back in Wisconsin.

The absolute best advice given above is to buy a gazeteer and download google earth. Go to the DNR website and download the PDF's of the game areas that have water on them, then pick up the phone and start calling the biologists (also available on the DNR website). That last one is a stab in the dark, just depends on who you get on the other end, some are overly helpful, some are worthless.

Start narrowing down areas that fit what you have available gear wise (decoys, waders, boats, etc.) and go give it a try. Some will pay off, some won't, some will be in between. Just remember that for every quality hunting spot anywhere, someone had to be the first to find it, might as well be you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am a college kid just not starving yet. I go to Michigan State, but will be going back to Grand Rapids to get my stuff then head on up. I have a truck, boat waders, decoys and everything else that you would need. I am willing to travel probably up to the bridge, but might go over the bridge to a few good spots that I know of if I dont find something closer because 6 hours of driving to GR the another 1 1/2 back to east Lansing isn't exciting me that much. Maybe I just stick to the bow hunting until next weekend when our season opens up. You guys should see these fields and ponds that Michigan State owns. The one field probably had 1000 geese in it sunday night and another 500 or so duck on their research ponds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I would love to hunt those fields, but they are on MSU property and I'm pretty sure I can't have a gun on campus or else I would. Those birds are only there because they know they can't be touched.

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
Well I would love to hunt those fields, but they are on MSU property and I'm pretty sure I can't have a gun on campus or else I would. Those birds are only there because they know they can't be touched.
I've lived in the area my whole life, and those ponds have always been full of birds right up until ice. Good spot to view ducks and take photos though. And in case you're thinking about following them when they leave and fly south to feed in fields...don't bother. Trust me...I have a friend who has leases on several farms just south of the freeway. Take a drive down Okemos Road in hunting season, and take any of the roads west from Okemos Road, and you'll see hunters in the fields. It's that way right up through the late January goose hunt. So save your gas ;)

But I was serious before Kurto about you tagging along. I was a poor college kid at one time too. I'm 15 minutes north of campus, and I'll be hunting a lot from late October through November, and most of my hunts are day trips (Maple River, Shiawassee River, the bay, etc), so if you want to tag along, give me a shout.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Being MSU alum, I am very aware of those blessed fields.....and I worked my butt off trying to get permission to hunt/control the goose population there....with no luck...

Anyway, I am going up for my first mid-zone opener with a friend who has been for the past 5 years, If we had more room, I would welcome, but we are full.

Good Luck, I hope you find some fowl and get a great chance at luring them into a good shooting distance and take home a limit!!!!!

EVERYONE BE SAFE THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
ahh yes the MSU birds! I have ingested many of those. I am MSU alum also and worked in Williamston afterwards. Had many great hunts in fields out that way. The birds feed around the whole Lansing area. I have pics of flocks of 100's of mallards & geese circling one of the fields we have hunted. They tended to all come at the same time in the morning (smaller more even spaced arrivals in afternoon) It was exciting and spectacular, problem was one volley of shots and they were all gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.