Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
75 back? Not that I'm doubting you, it just seems a little far for 3 oz at that speed and fow. But if you boated 6 in 3 1/2 hours I'm willing to give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
75 back? Not that I'm doubting you, it just seems a little far for 3 oz at that speed and fow. But if you boated 6 in 3 1/2 hours I'm willing to give it a try.
I've had them out triple digits w/4's in the deeper holes of the MC. Hard for me to slow down more than 2.8-3.0 in my tub.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
The current is pretty slow in the lower Middle Channel so it can be closer to trolling than power drifting, especially with a south or west wind. That’s a ton of line out for fishing upstream, but pretty normal down there.

Just curious, why do you focus on the lower Middle Channel? Unless you are launching from the west side of the lake, you are driving over better water most of the time to get there. I only walleye fish that area when my desire for better scenery trumps my desire to catch a lot of fish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trolling with current 75 back is where it seems the bb settles in and I get a nice tick of btm any less I get tick of btm then lose shortly after.
As for sticking with middle channel I grew up having a place on the island over there (old stomping grounds) love the scenery and the lack of big tuna boats fish with dad a lot and he has a bad back the big chop beats him up pretty good

Sent from my SM-J337AZ using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'll pipe into this thread for a little history from the Michigan Pioneer Association volumes. Before the invasion of us white guys the Indians had a unique way to get Sturgeon in the middle channel. They would heat and mix Sturgeon fat and mud and dry on bigger lighter sticks. One group would be at the head of the channel and let these sticks float downstream. A group would be out in the water at the end of the channel with Spears. The Sturgeon would follow the sticks downstream and be speared.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
the Michigan Pioneer Association volumes. These are now digitized but when you have one volume of 35 with 800 pages it is a lot better reading. They made the written accounts before the original founders died in the 1880's and other direct historical paperwork. Some FANTASTIC reading. Some local libraries still let you check them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts