Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
that is a cool video. I'm assuming those were sturgeon eggs they were pointing at. hope they all don't become goby food!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Is there anything marking the area. Something like an interaptive sign. It would be cool if it became a self imposed sturgeon refuge. We have all seen what the self imposed muskie catch and release has done for that fishery.

Did anyone call Michigan Out of Doors TV. They have done a sturgeon piece the past few years and if they could get access to the dive video it would be a great way to show it to Michigan/Ontario residents.

Ken

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ken is right that it would be nice to not fish the reef. Sturgeon spawning will be done before the sturgeon fishing season opens. From the size of the rocks it looks like a good place to lose a lot of tackle. I was aboard the Huron Lady a couple weeks ago with Jenny while Greg Lashbrook provided a live video feed to a television on the deck. Jenny filmed that for Michigan Out of Doors . She also recently did some filming with Justin Chiotti of US Fish and Wildlife. As I understand she will combine the two filming trips into one segment. They usually hold off on showing the good stuff until after the pledge weeks on channel 56. I have not talked to her lately but I would guess there should be a segment on in the next few weeks.

212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken is right that it would be nice to not fish the reef. Sturgeon spawning will be done before the sturgeon fishing season opens. From the size of the rocks it looks like a good place to lose a lot of tackle. I was aboard the Huron Lady a couple weeks ago with Jenny while Greg Lashbrook provided a live video feed to a television on the deck. Jenny filmed that for Michigan Out of Doors . She also recently did some filming with Justin Chiotti of US Fish and Wildlife. As I understand she will combine the two filming trips into one segment. They usually hold off on showing the good stuff until after the pledge weeks on channel 56. I have not talked to her lately but I would guess there should be a segment on in the next few weeks.
ya!! or maybe an anchor or two if i see anyone fishin it!!haha:evil:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It has been done for 20 days. A dive team went down to check it out 3 DAYS after it was finished, and this is what they found!! AMAZING FISH!!!! ;)
Just wanted to clarify...that video was taken before the reef was actually even finished.
The barges and crane just left the area last week.

This was from MI Sea Grant on 5/29/12:
Breaking News! The USGS dive team visited our still-in-progress fish habitat project in the Middle Channel of the St. Clair River on Friday (5/25). Check out the phenomenal video taken by Jeff Allen. Not only are several lake sturgeon hanging around these new spawning reefs, but they have already deposited eggs! The constructed reef beds in the video are less than 2 weeks old, and the fish seem unfazed by the nearby construction noise or the scuba divers.
p.s. You can also see several native lamprey attached to the lake sturgeon.
— at St. Clair River - near Algonac, MI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's hard to tell but are the fish in the video full grown? And how big do you think they are?

Dinosaurs gotta love em!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great video and thanks for sharing it. Does anyone know if they will be putting in more reefs in other parts of the channels. I think it is money well spent to help protect this ancient fish population for future generations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts