Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out at 9 am and only backtrolling today with the light winds....hit 7 spots from 12' to 34' and 1 Walleye to show....3rd spot shallow then a deep pass and bam.....a nice 45"er.....got a 28" Sheapshead as well.....last spot had to laugh, my buddy was already there jigging for Musky when we pulled up.....told him about the other fish....started backtrolling with boats side by side, he was deeper.....and less than 2 min's I pulled in a frisky 38" Musky, lol.....tried copper but all fish came on silver today.....got a 22" Smallie too.....our official excuse again is that the Walleye are gorged on Mayflies !.....

Water is top notch !!....good vis and @ 67 degrees.....still vast mats of Mayflie's though.....Bluegill's are on their beds....saw tons of baby fish and the 1st Dragonfly's....also saw a Great Egret which were much more common yrs ago ?.....1st try at a photo ?......enjoy the water all.....

DSCN0520.JPG

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read things out of order and thought you were targeting musky today lol.
Yeah we were after Walleye and got more Musky than Walleye!!....brother lost something big 1/2 way up too, either a hog SH or another Musky!.....I had both fish hooked just right, in the corner of mouth with that 20lb mono and got the 45 in our Walleye net, lol....it is rubber coated and kinda deep too.....the 38 went under the boat, tangled with the other line that was dangling in the water and then airborne !.....was interesting !...lol....

My buddy who was targeting M hasn't given me a buzz so I'm assuming he got a doughnut, lol....cheers.....

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about other Egrets, probably not.....year ago on the D the Egrets were more common and Great Blue Herons were pretty darn rare.....now it's the other way around !.....I always wonder what the reason's are, lol....

we saw another Egret today on Ont. side and the Bald Eagle by Mud which has been elusive lately, lol......and probably at least 10 Herons !.....baby turtles the size of a silver dollar on FI too.....still haven't seen any water snakes this year ?.....

·
Super Moderator
37,391 Posts
You'd think the snakes would be out in the warm weather...

Found a turtle while cutting the lawn... tiny! Couldn't figure out what the heck it was doing in the center of a subdivision... saw it JUST in time

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lucky little guy !....that's cool.....and yeah I meant "years" ago in my post, lol....

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Yes, there are a few different types of "white egrets" around this time of year in SE MI. The big white one is the "White Egret", which is the size of a Great Blue Heron, hard to mistake them for anything else. The more abundant, much smaller white cousin, is called "Cattle Egret", around the size of a Green Heron. Lots and lots of these around in marshes, fields, etc. I don't know if we get the third type, the Snowy Egret, smaller yet, around here or not. Plenty of these in FL and other Southern States.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Correction: the big white one is called the "Great Egret"....not "White Egret"....

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there are a few different types of "white egrets" around this time of year in SE MI. The big white one is the "White Egret", which is the size of a Great Blue Heron, hard to mistake them for anything else. The more abundant, much smaller white cousin, is called "Cattle Egret", around the size of a Green Heron. Lots and lots of these around in marshes, fields, etc. I don't know if we get the third type, the Snowy Egret, smaller yet, around here or not. Plenty of these in FL and other Southern States.

Funny now that you mentioned it but last few years we were seeing Green Heron's all the time at a particular spot and none this yr, they are a cool bird....have not seen the Kingfisher yet either.....Great's are what we see.....I would of thought a Cattle Egret was just a immature Great had I seen that !.....

side note:....lol.....I always wonder why most birds/animals are usually camouflaged to some degree....and then the few who stick out like a sore thumb !!.....??....thanks.....

·
Super Moderator
37,391 Posts
Need a delete function like we used to have... I don't understand why there isn't one. Tried to edit something and ended up with a new post and now can't delete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts