Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post if anyone has been wondering.....but today was horrible....we moved 9 times....7 spots were past producers.....one spot we did good on 7/4 2 yrs ago....today zip/move....zip/move....3 Perch all 7" then zip.....move 1 Perch then zip.....move a dbl header both 6" then zip !!!..... and that's how it went from 7 till noon....with the water up we tried from 5' to 12'.....

Only picked up 2 Smallies & 1 Rockbass.....had less than 10 Perch and only one was over 8"s.....we were actually laughing about it by end of trip !....kinda sorta !....LOL....Our official excuse this day is that all the Perch are stuffed with Mayflies !!!......enjoy the water all.....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just thought I'd post if anyone has been wondering.....but today was horrible....we moved 9 times....7 spots were past producers.....one spot we did good on 7/4 2 yrs ago....today zip/move....zip/move....3 Perch all 7" then zip.....move 1 Perch then zip.....move a dbl header both 6" then zip !!!..... and that's how it went from 7 till noon....with the water up we tried from 5' to 12'.....

Only picked up 2 Smallies & 1 Rockbass.....had less than 10 Perch and only one was over 8"s.....we were actually laughing about it by end of trip !....kinda sorta !....LOL....Our official excuse this day is that all the Perch are stuffed with Mayflies !!!......enjoy the water all.....
if you cant find em there is no hope for us. going to try next week. thanks for the report

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you cant find em there is no hope for us. going to try next week. thanks for the report
All I can say wingster is that we tried pretty hard....water on US side is good and we had decent minnows...not great but good.....things on this river are constantly changing.....and the Perch may very well be gorging on Mayflies !.....when that food source is gone it may pick up ! ?.....

seems peculiar to us that we got so few here and there and then absolutely nothing !!....like they were in anything but a "school" !....and the size was dink.....July isn't the best month but we have clobbered them before ! ?.....it is frustrating.....best of luck !......

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to add that today we watched a large area where it was either Silverbass or nice White Perch feeding heavy on May Flies on the surface....they were feasting !!.....

·
Super Moderator
37,349 Posts
Just wanted to add that today we watched a large area where it was either Silverbass or nice White Perch feeding heavy on May Flies on the surface....they were feasting !!.....
I would bet there were hungry predators nearby...

Opening day of musky I watched a guy land one with a ton of WB surfacing about 15 yds away.

Camping on the west side of the state, we used to "chum" the pike and LMB with bread... the bread brought the hoards of gills, and the splashing and chaos of the gills feasting would bring in the pike and bass. Made it very easy to get them to bite anything that looked wounded.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually my brother saw a big swirl and that's what caught our attention !.....we casted several times and inched closer and jigged thru too.....I get the feeling that you could be a "pro" fisherman SS !!.....you are very astute !!.....Musky of the future beware !!...LOL....seriously, though !!.....cheers....

·
Super Moderator
37,349 Posts
Lol honestly I'd love to fish for a living but no I'm not that good! Still just a novice to the D. Lots of guys like yourself are much better.

Fishing is just the thing I'm most passionate about, and it really came to the top when I moved near the D. Incredible fishery and not really anywhere for me to hunt (2nd passion). I am just out to learn, feel accomplished and get that rush. And nothing clears my head like time on the water...

On here, I like reading reports and the discussions. Also enjoy the success of others, and once in a while I may have advice that could actually help a new fisherman. Its a good feeling when it works out. My number of posts and MS status or "points" as it may be called now? Just says I'm a little addicted... my wife likes to point that out and I don't blame her lol.

Bubba: "You ever been on a shrimp boat?"

Gump: "no but I've been on a real big boat"

Lmao! Love that movie...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And....mama always said....."people only need so much for living, the rest is for showing off" !.....trust me, I have worn many shoes !.......somebody has to get a 40lb+ fish soon !.....cheers.....

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
And....mama always said....."people only need so much for living, the rest is for showing off" !.....trust me, I have worn many shoes !.......somebody has to get a 40lb+ fish soon !.....cheers.....

I believe this obese gal is on her way to tipping the scale. My cousin Don is 6'3" 250# plus and definatly not holding her out for the pic. She T boned a bleeding heart red Bondy, could not see the bait. btw..was Dons first ski. Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks for the report "50" actually we were just talking about the 31 nice keepers we got last year in the mid-river flats around the 4th of July. Guess we keep chasing walleye.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I believe this obese gal is on her way to tipping the scale. My cousin Don is 6'3" 250# plus and definatly not holding her out for the pic. She T boned a bleeding heart red Bondy, could not see the bait. btw..was Dons first ski. Lol
That is a BRUTE of a river fish !....kinda looks like a early season fish before she spawned out.....that's what my one & only 40lber was....still full of eggs or she woulda weighed @ 8lbs less, lol....great fish !!.....

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When was this?
Laughing at myself !.....just took a re-look and the pic says 6/9/15 LOL !.....that seems about right and I'd bet she still had her eggs.......is the bleeding heart Bondy the Pink one ?.....I have one but have not had the courage to use it much !!......cheers......

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When was this?
Laughing at myself !.....just took a re-look and the pic says 6/9/15 LOL !.....that seems about right and I'd bet she still had her eggs.......is the bleeding heart Bondy the Pink one ?.....I have one but have not had the courage to use it much !!......cheers......

·
Super Moderator
37,349 Posts

She's definitely a beast!

Have you ever considered changing your name from Divers Down to Van Gogh?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Honestly we jigged for eyes and whatever that bit and watched as silvers broke the surface, my graph was loaded also. My little cousin got bit off and I started jigging with the black bondy had a nice hit but came off after about 5 seconds. Then we had another on for a good 20 seconds but bit off. This was all near silvers surfacing. Seemed like the less crowded areas with less silvers held more musky.

But the funny thing was we could not get the silvers to bite anything. We only cought one

1 - 21 of 22 Posts