Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick report.....water was dirty Mon & tons of mayflies and debris....Tues a tad better but Ont still poor....lots & lots of suspended floating weeds messing up everything....today US side is good but Ont side still has poor vis ! ?....jigged up only 2 Walleye today and a 39" Musky on blk ww....still picking up a few Silverbass....tried backtrolling & kept getting weeds even deep.....water is 66-67 degrees and as high as it's been in a loooong time !!!.....cheers all....

·
Super Moderator
37,300 Posts
I remember much much higher water back in... mid 90's? on Saginaw Bay. Just recalling that time period drifting for walleye versus later on when I could drive a truck out to the "hot ponds" and people's waterfront property extended waaaaay out and ended up turning into marsh. A couple weeks ago there was a north wind on the bay and water was only a couple inches from going over the seawalls on the kawkawlin river... these cool summers, frigid winters and good rains are doing wonders for water levels!

I always over think things... so I just think if fish population is steady and water rises that means there are less fish per cubic meter of water making them harder to catch! Lol

From satellite it doesn't surprise me the Ontario side is filthy. The whole SE shore of st clair looks like a mud puddle getting sucked down the river.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember much much higher water back in... mid 90's? on Saginaw Bay. Just recalling that time period drifting for walleye versus later on when I could drive a truck out to the "hot ponds" and people's waterfront property extended waaaaay out and ended up turning into marsh. A couple weeks ago there was a north wind on the bay and water was only a couple inches from going over the seawalls on the kawkawlin river... these cool summers, frigid winters and good rains are doing wonders for water levels!

I always over think things... so I just think if fish population is steady and water rises that means there are less fish per cubic meter of water making them harder to catch! Lol

From satellite it doesn't surprise me the Ontario side is filthy. The whole SE shore of st clair looks like a mud puddle getting sucked down the river.
Don't know anything about sag bay.....but take a look at the docks & seawalls in Wyan.....even the BASF seawall !!.....very high water......less fish per cubic meter?... !!!....I like it !!.....I always say the water level in the D should go down at least a foot when all the Silverbass move back out to Erie just due to the mass being gone !!....lol....here's hoping someone pulls 50 or 60 lbs of Musky mass out sometime soon !...LOL.....

·
Super Moderator
37,300 Posts
I am assuming sag bay, Huron, st clair down to the d and right through lake Erie would have been low and high at same periods of time.

Lol yes, the water really does go down every time a fish is pulled out! True story.

I am gonna do my best to prove Jon's 60" is out there...

Thanks for the report. I kept thinking all day how nice it would be to be on the water instead of in an office.

Can't believe how many darn musky you guys catch lol. I've hooked 2 musky in 4 seasons of jigging walleye. Seems you do that in a trip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts