Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are headed to a cottage on Foote Pond the 3rd week of July and was just wondering what we should be targeting while there...

We will be boating on the pond one day and floating towards Oscoda the other two....

There is a group of us and my 10 year old and I fly fish and a couple of the others do a bit, but most won't.

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Should be some smallmouth, walleye, and possibly some late steelhead below the dam. Enjoy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Guppy, that's all I needed to know. My son is itching to catch his first Chrome, but we haven't been able to make it up during prime time, but are going to try in the future. Would be cool to hook into one by chance if they are still lingering.

He started tying his own flys last year and is just getting the hang of streamers(started him painting poppers and adding the tails), so I am going to have him load up on both before we go.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
If you're going the 3rd week of July, you can mostly forget about steelhead. Any lingering spawners or possible stray skams will be up in the coffer. The Big A typically gets into the 74-75* range most summers.

However, the river is full of big smallmouth, drum, pike and quite a few walleyes. The larger bass are NOT STUPID and require a very good presentation. Pike will be in deep, weedy bends and grass flats. Walleyes love the logs, and during the day...stick tightly to them. Evening can be good, as smallies begin looking topside, and walleye start pulling out of the logs and onto deep, slow edges along the bank. The eyes are pretty aggressive once they go into feeding. Easier to catch than the nicer smallies. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! We are up for anything, and will probably be spinning and pushing flys around the river/pond, so a good mix is fine for everyone.

Appreciate the tips!

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
The species you will most likely encounter toward the end of July are Rockbass, and Smallmouth. There are also Pike, and Walleyes, but they are harder to get bitten by. Also, there are tons of Carp in the river, in summer. Big Carp are mostly up by the dam, and smaller Carp are throughout the river. You won't see the little Carp, but there are millions of them in there. If you go overboard with a snorkel, and mask, you will see schools of the little Carp.

Snorkeling on the Ausable in summer is great fun. Just be careful around heavier current, so you don't get pushed into an underwater logjam somewhere. Also if you go snorkeling, be careful around any wood. It is likely to have fish hooks stuck in it.

·
Premium Member
29,953 Posts
Been quite awhile since I've been up there, but isn't around that time when it was good for catfish also if I remember right?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The first run of adult Atlantics should begin to show in July. Anyone seeing any yet in the river? I am thinking of planning my trip July 2016 for the Lower Au Sable.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
To see them in there before a few cooler "sweatshirt" evenings in August.

·
Premium Member
29,953 Posts
Yep, don't think they'll show up like they do in the Soo in July in that cold water full of smelt. Will be more of a spawning run I'd guess, but who knows:confused: They may hang out front for awhile though.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Yep, don't think they'll show up like they do in the Soo in July in that cold water full of smelt. Will be more of a spawning run I'd guess, but who knows:confused: They may hang out front for awhile though.
If I remember right, somebody posted about catching some last November.
I'd be awfully surprised to see any in the AS in July.
Water temps are usually in the high 60's to low 70's that time of year.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Wont be any Atlantics during summer in the Big A. They don't suicide run like skams. September-October is when they'll show up off the piers, and October-November for the river.

The first 2 plants had very low survival, due to small plant size(3-4"), and high, cold water(30's). This year they were 6"+, and were planted in normal flows in the mid-40's. Look for 2017 to be the first decent run of them up the Au Sab. There may be a few the next couple years though.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Wont be any Atlantics during summer in the Big A. They don't suicide run like skams. September-October is when they'll show up off the piers, and October-November for the river.

The first 2 plants had very low survival, due to small plant size(3-4"), and high, cold water(30's). This year they were 6"+, and were planted in normal flows in the mid-40's. Look for 2017 to be the first decent run of them up the Au Sab. There may be a few the next couple years though.
Be interesting to see what plays out. The Salmon River Atlantics start to run in July sometimes June and they do make a "suicide run" into water that's quite warm, 70 degrees sometimes if not mistaken.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
If I remember right, somebody posted about catching some last November.
I'd be awfully surprised to see any in the AS in July.
Water temps are usually in the high 60's to low 70's that time of year.
I didn't hear about them being caught last November, but there was some action a couple months ago.
The Ausable, below Foote dam, gets to at least 80* every summer for the last 15 years, or so.
The Atlantics that run in the Soo pretty much run right up tight to the dam, and then hang out there. On the Ausable I think they would probably do the same thing, and hang out in the coffer, where nobody can fish for them legally. That would be a shame, just like it is a shame that Steelhead are allowed to jump that coffer dam, and hang out where nobody can fish for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts