Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to our neighboring states, our archery season is actually quite short.

Wisconsin:

62 day archery season previous to firearm hunting (Sept. 15 - Nov. 15)
42 day archery season after firearm season (Nov. 26 - Jan. 6)
104 days total
*WI's firearm opener will vary between the 17th-23rd of November

Ohio:

58 day archery season previous to firearm hunting (Sept. 29 - Nov. 25)
63 day archery season after firearm season (Dec. 3 - Feb. 3)
121 days total
* OH's firearm opener will vary between Nov. 26th - Dec 2nd

Indiana:

47 day archery season previous to firearm hunting (Oct. 1 - Nov. 16)
35 day archery season previous to firearm hunting (Dec. 3 - Jan. 6)
82 days total
*IN's firearm opener will vary between the 12th-18th of November

Our archery season previous to firearm hunting is 45 days, and our hunting after firearm season is 32 days = 77 days total. 44 days less than Ohio, 27 days less than WI, and 5 days less than IN.

I'm not certain what my point is, just found this to be interesting :) .

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
That's why I say open archery season the 2nd Saturday in Sept. and close it the last Sunday in Jan, if and when we can ever correct our old buck tag system.
It's tags and tag availablity that determines overharvest of yearling bucks and underhavest of antlerless deer in some area's.
Those other states will never have Michigan's issue's because none of them allow the masses to hunt for 2 bucks in any season. If only OBR like OH or IN or 1 buck per season like WI, then it makes no difference how much hunting opportunity time afield any hunter gets. Time allowed only hurts when hunters have too many opportunities to kill bucks only.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I guess I don't see the purpose. I use to be strictly a gun hunter but for the past 5 years, bow hunting has become my passion. However, I would rather see the season shortened! So much of the activity and useful hunting time is during mid-late October and early November. I don't see the need to have as long of a season as what we have, yet alone making it longer.

I wouldn't be so opposed to it though if the buck rule changed considerably as Pinefarm stated. I would be in favor of having the opener by Oct. 10th though. Like I said, I just don't see why we need a longer season, regardless of what other states do. What would be the arguement that we need a longer season. If you can't find time to get out now, well you sure should be able to. There is so much other stuff open (small game, bear, etc.) that it just doesn't seem logical to me. And remember, I do LOVE bow hunting!!!

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Pinefarm said:
That's why I say open archery season the 2nd Saturday in Sept. and close it the last Sunday in Jan, if and when we can ever correct our old buck tag system.
It's tags and tag availablity that determines overharvest of yearling bucks and underhavest of antlerless deer in some area's.
Those other states will never have Michigan's issue's because none of them allow the masses to hunt for 2 bucks in any season. If only OBR like OH or IN or 1 buck per season like WI, then it makes no difference how much hunting opportunity time afield any hunter gets. Time allowed only hurts when hunters have too many opportunities to kill bucks only.
In addition I raise you to move the firearms opener up and shorten it to a week . And only allow inline MZ's during the regular firearms season, leaving the MZ season for the traditional MZ's. There....that ought to stir the pot some more..:D :D :lol:

·
Registered
685 Posts
"And the DNR is having trouble killing the number of deer that they want us too."

Yeah, maybe in certain areas. I'm not saying to shorten the season. I'm just saying that if it were up for debate, I would support it, with the right terminology of course. Again, with the right rules in place for buck restrictions, I might also support extending the season. All depends. I believe the DNR thinks they WERE having trouble killing off the amount of deer they THOUGHT they needed to. However, all of a sudden there are a bunch of counties now where there are zero doe permits available, others with reduced numbers available, and very few counties with the late season for does. So, that to me makes me believe that the DNR over-estimated how many deer they NEEDED to kill off and now some of the head counts are lower than anticipated. Now, could understand the idea of an extended season in the SLP (maybe by Zones). I still think that is the way it needs to be done is by Zones and not statewide. Michigan is so different when it comes to wildlife and habitat and such, between Zones 1, 2, and 3.

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
Leaving out the OBR aspect of PF's post for the sake of simplicity ----- I could not support an archery opener earlier than October 1st; but, would vigorously support an extension through January.

The problem I have with early archery ----even the first two weeks of October --- is the foliage issue. The woods are very thick, animals hit with an arrow quickly disappear from sight. I believe, tho I have no stats or studies to back it up, but I believe the majority of 'hit & lost' deer occur during the first 20 days of October vs. any other time of the 77 day archery season.

To be sure, there are probably more inexperienced or less-than-proficient archers in the woods those first three weeks and that surely causes many of the 'hit & lost' situations. But still, once foliage is down - or thinned - any archer....skilled, semi-skilled, or unskilled....will have a much improved chance of recovering his hit animal.

However, substituting January for September is a poor trade if one's goal is simply to put bodies in the field. Winter hunting for whitetails with a bow is tougher and that will filter out many potential participants.

January ----Yes! September------No!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Pinefarm said:
YAWN!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Didn't take long for this to turn into a an OBR cry, did it? What you really mean is change the tag structure to suit "your" wants and needs (a.k.a., antler envy). No, thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
One Eye said:
YAWN!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Didn't take long for this to turn into a an OBR cry, did it? What you really mean is change the tag structure to suit "your" wants and needs (a.k.a., antler envy). No, thanks.

Dan

Kind of like keeping crossbows out, to meet your need(A.K.A, shoot my deer):lol:

·
Registered
19,090 Posts
Since you can use a bow during gun season using a gun license, you can use your bow legally for deer for 93 days. Seems like enough to me. Anyone who can't kill enough deer in that many days should consider hunting with a gun a few days.
For those who can't get enough bow hunting, hunting with a bow for rabbits for 3 months after the deer season ends is a blast and will provide you with many more shooting opportunties and more exercise. Then bow hunting for carp and turkeys in the spring can extend your bow hunting many more weeks. Don't you guys ever get tired of sitting in bow stands ?

L & O

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Liver and Onions said:
Since you can use a bow during gun season using a gun license, you can use your bow legally for deer for 93 days. Seems like enough to me. Anyone who can't kill enough deer in that many days should consider hunting with a gun a few days.
For those who can't get enough bow hunting, hunting with a bow for rabbits for 3 months after the deer season ends is a blast and will provide you with many more shooting opportunties and more exercise. Then bow hunting for carp and turkeys in the spring can extend your bow hunting many more weeks. Don't you guys ever get tired of sitting in bow stands ?

L & O
NO! SIR

·
Registered
26,565 Posts
Ferg said:
Gentlemen - easy let's not dump this one so fast - please -

ferg....
I think that November Sunrise guy was just trying to stir the pot :lol:

Just kidding Jeff :)

·
Premium Member
30,795 Posts
4x4_Hunter said:
I would be in favor of having the opener by Oct. 10th though.
This would be a great idea and would allow for the first week of October to be any weapon antlerless only in DMUs over population goal.
I'm in.
Big T

·
Premium Member
30,795 Posts
Liver and Onions said:
Don't you guys ever get tired of sitting in bow stands ?

L & O
Yes, so sometimes I stand up.
Do you ever get tired of.....nevermind.

Big T

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
A poster abve responding to this post: " I would be in favor of having the opener by Oct. 10th...."

Posts this: "... a great idea and would allow for the first week of October to be any weapon antlerless only in DMUs over population goal."

I'll post: OK. There's merit there. That's something worth digging into.

·
Registered
19,090 Posts
QDMAMAN said:
Yes, so sometimes I stand up.
Do you ever get tired of.....nevermind.

Big T
That was a rhetorical question.
I guess that the only thing that I get tired of is some people whining and crying about every DNR policy when it doesn't agree with their ideas. Of course their are ideas are the only ideas that are correct.
I probably support our DNR policies about 97% of the time. So for some, I am in the wrong 97% of the time.

L & O

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What is our # of bowhunters compared to the other states listed?

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fairfax1 said:
Leaving out the OBR aspect of PF's post for the sake of simplicity ----- I could not support an archery opener earlier than October 1st; but, would vigorously support an extension through January.

The problem I have with early archery ----even the first two weeks of October --- is the foliage issue. The woods are very thick, animals hit with an arrow quickly disappear from sight. I believe, tho I have no stats or studies to back it up, but I believe the majority of 'hit & lost' deer occur during the first 20 days of October vs. any other time of the 77 day archery season.

To be sure, there are probably more inexperienced or less-than-proficient archers in the woods those first three weeks and that surely causes many of the 'hit & lost' situations. But still, once foliage is down - or thinned - any archer....skilled, semi-skilled, or unskilled....will have a much improved chance of recovering his hit animal.

However, substituting January for September is a poor trade if one's goal is simply to put bodies in the field. Winter hunting for whitetails with a bow is tougher and that will filter out many potential participants.

January ----Yes! September------No!
You make a very interesting point regarding recoverability being potentially lower during the peak foliage period of the season - that strikes me as very likely.

A number of things would have to change in order to begin archery season any earlier - for instance, the current legal requirement is for the youth season to begin on the fourth Saturday of September.

Keeping it open later would be an easier change - there are at least two factors to consider.

Firstly, as the days go by, more and more antlered bucks will have shed their antlers and could be mistaken for does. This probably isn't much of a concern if the season were just another 5-7 days longer.

Secondly, the DNR believes that extending the season much into January could create negative experiences for hunters who shoot does and then are faced with the unavoidable reality of seeing developing fetuses when field dressing the deer. When a doe is killed in mid to late December the developing fetuses are not overly noticable - in other words, it's quite easy to field dress her and not even be aware that she was pregnant. Once you get into mid January that is no longer the case. I killed a doe in Ohio on February 2nd, and it would have been impossible to not notice the fact that she was pregnant. Once again, this may not be much of a concern if the season were just another 5-7 days longer.

Anyway, this topic is just the result of some late night musings yesterday. For several of you who apparently can't post on any deer related topic without employing sarcasm, the roll eyes icon :)rolleyes: ), etc. - why not remove the perpetual twist from your undies and relax? There isn't anything to be gained from interjecting emotion into topical musings such as this that have no implications for the future - the archery season isn't going to be shortened or lengthened because of this thread or any discussions on this forum. It's a mildly interesting topic at best - nothing more, nothing less.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts