Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else hear we are about to lose huge chunks of state pulic lands? This could make hunting and fishing even more difficult because of access problems. The rumor I heard is 1/4 to 1/2 of state forest lands to be sold. I am praying that is wrong. Looks like Ms. Granholm is not what folks thought her to be. I enjoy the state lands around my cabin and so do others. I fear this is going to happen on the Federal level as well. America has the most public lands in the world and if we lose it our sporting way of life will become a sport for the elite and super rich. If anyone can fill me in on this ugly rumor I would be gratefull. Maybe it's time to starting going to Canada for my hunting trips.

·
Super Moderator
11,762 Posts
Howdy, mike k-

Welcome to the site!

Sorry your first post had to be about something so potentially devastating....hopefully, others will have further info on this. Hope to find they are just rumors.....

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
mike k,
Don't panic yet. There are no mass land sales planned. The rumors have a way of growing or not refering to the source. You may be hearing parts of more than one subject. Check out these two links and see if they match up with what you've been hearing.

Granholm wants audit of forest overseers
Governor pushes independent certification for management of state's 4 million acres
TRAVERSE CITY — Gov. Jennifer Granholm says she wants independent auditors to determine whether Michigan oversees its forests in an environmentally friendly way.
The state, which owns four million acres of forestland, will seek certification of its management practices under two programs developed by environmentalists and the forest products industry.
http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0402/13/d08-62860.htm
Then check out this page:

Sale of State-owned Lands
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10368-32607--,00.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts