Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Michigan Duck Hunters Association feature will be on Michigan Out-of-Doors Television this Thursday. I just got off the phone with Jimmy Gretzinger and he said it turned out great. This has the hunt at Harsens Island from the handicap access, layout hunting from Lou's lake house, and layout hunting during the January split off of Harrison Twp.

Watch it and let me know what you think. Thanks again to everyone who helped put it together especially Lou Tisch and Harold Huber.

Ken Martin
Michigan Duck Hunters Association-Bluewater-President

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Can't wait to see it. is it just me or does it seem like they've shown MORE waterfowling this season than in the past?

If you have OLN, check out WaterDog tonight at 7:00 too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've shown plenty of goose hunting but I don't remember any duck stuff. But Detroit doesn't show it enough.

Ken

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Nice job Ken! Looked good!:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
The show was excellent, made you wish you where there and that season was still open. Was ice fishing in front of Metro last Saturday and the flights of birds still here is amazing. Allot of cans.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Good show. Enjoyed it and was nice that they were showing the missed shots as well. :D Keeps things in perspective!!

Scott

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Great show, kudos to the cameraman I really like the camera work, the angles on the gunners and the ducks were awesome.

Nice decoys, looked like handmade wooden blocks.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple were hand carved by Ken Ball (on the show). Most were E. Allen Decoys and Wildwater Decoys. They are a "high density ureathane foam" and are from well known carvers. If you want to see them you can go to:

www.maddecoys.com
www.eallendecoys.com

I paint my own E. Allens and love them. The winged preener that was being thrown out at Harsens is one of mine. I'll put some pics in my gallery when I get home tonight.

Ken Martin
Michigan Duck Hunters Association-Bluewater-President

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
that handicapper segment with all the ducks flying around... was that WALPOLE off in the distance?!! ;)

daaaaaaang! looked like a summer night by the bug zapper!
:p

--

didn't they also make one out at Maple River Flooding? thought I heard that somewhere.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was the refuge at Harsens. The handicap access is in zone 122 right behind the field office. The road to the access has crushed limestone from the parking lot all the way to the blind. I'll post some construction pics later too. It is 86 feet long and goes into a flooded corn field. With the right wind you can shoot lots of ducks from it. It is only for parties that have a handicapped person. If there is no one in the draw that needs it the zone is like all others and the party has to hunt from the water.

It was funded from donations and built with volunteers from Michigan Duck Hunters Assoc and Huron Pointe Sportsmen's Assoc.

Ken Martin
MDHA

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Branta, that was the refuge they were showing with all the ducks in the air. The handicap blind can be frustrating, because you see birds fly like that all day, hit the road and bank back to the refuge.

I hunted that spot the first day of the 2 day late season. The field was dry, so I stood in the corn over a pothole. Those guys did a great job building that blind.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I watched that too, pretty good show. When they showed the clips at the end of all the missed shots, I thought for a second that you guys had taped, ME shooting. I didn't hear the usual "barrage" of 4 letter words after the misses,, so I knew it wasn't me.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Bonney-

It's called "Editing" ;)

I'm sure it was there!! :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
The "bloody run" refuge @ pte mouille looks the same as Harsens.
You'd think the birds are caged in, the way that they'll do a 90 @ the edge of the fuge.
The trick @ both spots to play the wind.
Those fat mallards get blown that extra 30 or so yards across the line, then you can nail em.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts