Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else catch the new show on the travel channel called "The Wild Within"? It features a former Michigan resident (Twin Lake area, near Muskegon) named Steve Rinella.

It premiered just last night, and the first one was pretty good. It was more like a hunting show than a travel show. They were blacktail deer hunting in Alaska, as well as some shrimping, crabbing and goose hunting.

The guy who is the star is an author who wrote a couple books that incorporated lots of hunting with some humor with some philosophy of life...hard to explain but it is a change of pace from most hunting/fishing shows.

Here is a link to the site http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/The_Wild_Within

I took the guy spearfishing a few years ago when he was preparing his first book...he needed a CARP of all things for a meal he was planning featuring all wild game. This was the basis of his first book.

Kind of cool to see him on TV!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good show - I really liked it. His philosophy is something that I could really relate to.

·
Premium Member
8,053 Posts
saw the show last night. pretty good show.

seems like the renella name rings a bell from the ravenna fur sale. some guy from twin lake was trying to get me to ride to ak wth him in feb one year. told him no way, not in those temps. my bro lived in fairbanks at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I think it is a great show so far. I have it set to DVR the series. I really like the concept. Far different from gear sponsored outdoor shows we are accustom to. Looking forward to the next show

·
Registered
91 Posts
jeez and here I thought you meant the show was called Michigan man!!
NO NO not another Bo call out!!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Good show...has the potential to make the producers on Outdoor Channel and so on rethink their approach. Definitely plan to watch it every Sunday night

I plan to email Travel Channel and tell them how much I like it. Might help counterbalance all the negative comments they're sure to get from the antis/PETA

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Uh oh...He's all about ethics and morals and promoting them in a hunting show....

...Bet he's dubbed a cannibal by the Nugent fan base. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was looking forward to it and was not disappointed. I like the fact that a younger guy is stepping up. This country needs to wake up to the fact that we have it pretty damn good. Just a few generations ago a lot of people lived a lot closer to the bone. The sanctimonious attitudes of the antis and others who have lost touch with reality would not last long in Alaska or anywhere if they keep denying our canine teeth aren't their for some reason! Mother Nature put them there for a reason over hundreds of thousands of years of proof testing. One or 2 privledged generations is not going to define for me some sort of new rules.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
"If you're gonna kill it, eat it...If you're gonna eat it, cook it right"
I love his morals of life and hunting: complete respect for the animals he is taking, he says the word "kill" instead of "harvest", and he believes providing for his family and being with them is most important... I also like the backpacking aspect of the show, I feel hiking and backpacking are two things hunters should know.... All I wanna know is...where the hell can I sign up and hunt with this guy?!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
This show was brought up this weekend at fish camp... looking forward to catching an episode or 2

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I absolutely love the attitude of the show. During the Alaska Blacktail show they showed him gutting out a deer. They showed the gut pile, he held the bloody heart in his hand. He talked about modern humans paying others to do their killing for them. Last nights show he killed and then butchered a Bison and tried making a "Bull Boat" ala Lewis and Clark. Next weeks show he goes Hog hunting in Hawaii with dogs and a knife.:yikes: Should be interesting. FRANK

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have enjoyed the show and also like the departure from the typical bubba hunting shows and the focus on meat hunting. The Lewis and Clark episode was pretty cool as well. I did think it odd how convieniently they found the half quartered prong horn while on the brink of starvation.

The previews for next weeks show looks pretty "wild" as the name implies. Was he actually trying to knife that bore in the waterhole???? That takes balls...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts