Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://legiscan.com/MI/text/HB4313/2019

Michigan house bill 4313 passed today in the senate. This created the pheasant stamp supporting the MPHI. And instead of a 75/25 split between the release program and habitat, 100% goes to support the release program. Only UP pheasant hunters, lifetime license holders, preserve hunters and private land hunters are exempt required purchase.

In the end, looks like public land wild pheasant hunters in this state got double screwed on this one. There is a good chance I will not be hunting pheasants in this next year, as much as it sucks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Strategically speaking....

I might buy the stamp just to attract some of the hunting pressure away from the grouse woods or the wild pheasants for that matter. I don't hunt pheasants anymore.

I would be more supportive if it was 50-50 release and habitate but that has been gone over and clearly whoever is I influencing this doesn't agree. I wonder who it is.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wonder if pheasants would like zebra/quaga mussels? If so, we should be sitting pretty well with habitat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
https://legiscan.com/MI/text/HB4313/2019

Michigan house bill 4313 passed today in the senate. This created the pheasant stamp supporting the MPHI. And instead of a 75/25 split between the release program and habitat, 100% goes to support the release program. Only UP pheasant hunters, lifetime license holders, preserve hunters and private land hunters are exempt required purchase.

In the end, looks like public land wild pheasant hunters in this state got double screwed on this one. There is a good chance I will not be hunting pheasants in this next year, as much as it sucks.
Bummer... first world problems.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
I understand this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.... and I agree a habitat spilt would be better. But I’m very perplexed by how negative this is perceived. Worse case scenario it’s another revenue source that reinvests 100% into pheasant hunting.

which doesn’t seem like the worst thing ever.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
They sure did change it. The stamp is only for hunting on state land not private.

Not required;

(b) An individual hunting pheasants on private land, except for individuals hunting on land enrolled in the hunting access program.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
They sure did change it. The stamp is only for hunting on state land not private.

Not required;

(b) An individual hunting pheasants on private land, except for individuals hunting on land enrolled in the hunting access program.
I don't think it was ever gonna be required for private land, I might be wrong tho

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I understand this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.... and I agree a habitat spilt would be better. But I’m very perplexed by how negative this is perceived. Worse case scenario it’s another revenue source that reinvests 100% into pheasant hunting.

Most would agree with this if this permit, license, or whatever it is, would only be required on release sites. This does not do what they originally wanted it to do, give some money to habitat and also pay for birds....

Draw them in and then pull the rug out from underneath them....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It only reinvests into the release program at the cost of requiring the majority of pheasant hunters to support it.

It'll be interesting to see how many people actually buck up and pay for the stamp to participate compared to when it was free.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There are many options on game farms for those that choose to pursue put and take birds. Utilizing public resources at the public’s expense to benefit a minority? Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
So for the people that want to try hunting wild pheasants they will have to pay 40 plus dollars to go once.
A true detriment to the sport.
I take new people out for the experience and to spark interest.
I don't believe that they will want to pay this to go.
Hey that looks like fun.Can I go with you. Sure buy this small game and pheasant stamp and I'll take you.oh no thanks I'll pass.
What a bunch of idiots.Nice work.SMH.
This is beyond stupid.
Rob Peter to pay Paul.
These politicians are absolutely dumb.
They have no right to do this.
Maybe next we can pass a bill that takes 3% from state employees to fund a boot kicken pheasant hunt seeing how 25 bucks does not even cover the cost of two birds.
How corrupt!

·
Registered
839 Posts
So for the people that want to try hunting wild pheasants they will have to pay 40 plus dollars to go once.
Hey that looks like fun.Can I go with you. Sure buy this small game and pheasant stamp and I'll take you.oh no thanks I'll pass.
This is beyond stupid.
Rob Peter to pay Paul.
Maybe next we can pass a bill that takes 3% from state employees to fund a boot kicken pheasant hunt seeing how 25 bucks does not even cover the cost of two birds.
How corrupt!
I think I'd prefer a part time legislature. Then they wouldn't have so much free time to do other people's jobs. Not that they do what there suppose to in the first place.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
This is beyond stupid.
Rob Peter to pay Paul.
How corrupt!
I dont like the idea of not supporting habitat. But lets be honest the $40 to try pheasant hunting isnt the issue. You have to spend money for 3 licenses for duck or goose hunting and I have never had a new hunter balk at doing that to go duck hunting. I suspect you would be all for charging $40 for first timers if it was going towards habitat....I would too.

A new hunter has to spend a minimum $30 to go deer hunting one time. $40 isnt a big deal and wont be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
where are the pheasant release sights...a little new to this...is their multiple sights throughout the state...does any of the HAP land have wild pheasants?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Glad it passed. Probably see more guys with versatile breed sporting dogs. Duck hunting, grouse, woodcock, now added pheasant opportunity increased. Michigan has it all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
where are the pheasant release sights...a little new to this...is their multiple sights throughout the state...does any of the HAP land have wild pheasants?
In 2019 when they started it they were published, think there were 10 or 11, who knows they might change in 2021 season, just wait in they will publish them in summer probably. The cancelled the free release program this year because of the virus problems, state financial problems.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts