Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Indiana and am interested in hunting grouse this fall ( 2008 ). I am looking for a good place to go. Currently I am planning on going to Brighton State Recreation Area. I am bringing a dog but he has only hunted pheasants and quail. Any tps on how I can keep him closer in the woods would also be appreceated.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
From what I have seen with my 2 dogs. bird dogs will adjust their range to the cover. Tighter cover they tend to keep closer.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Although it's possible there might be one or two grouse in Brighton, you'd be a lot better off if you plan on going at least 100 miles further north. Probably 150 miles. Do some research on grouse in Michigan, start with the old threads on this board, go to the Michigan DNR site, google Michigan ruffed grouse, anything.

There are woodcock in Brighton, but you'd still be better off going further north.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could get a copy ot the Michigan County Atlas. It has the state and Federal land by county listed. You can get them at most outdoor stores and book stores.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'd agree with all points that the other posters have made and add that you'll want to research and be able to recognize the types of habitat that these critters prefer. There are something like 4 million acres of public land in Michigan (mostly in the northern 2/3 of the state) but only relatively small, sometimes very isolated spots hold huntable numbers of birds. That's why most grouse hunters are very hesitant to pin-point their covers.

Regarding your dog, many new grouse dogs have some initial difficulty with grouse--they are very flighty and the dog has to be extremely cautious with their birds. If you have a pointing dog, don't be surprised if you have a large number of bumps before you see a point. After the dog begins to get educated, don't be surprised if you see an unproductive now and then. If you have a close working flushing dog, you can disregard this statement.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I know it's been mentioned already, but you would have better success locating a spot further north.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts