Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading an article in the Grand Rapids Press about the Michigan Farm Bureau meeting that ended on Friday. According to the press, the Farm Bureau wants a state wide ban on baiting and feeding deer.
Is this because of the hype regarding the TB zone? Forgive me for my ignorance. I typically do not read many articles regarding baiting since I don't use bait to hunt. It seems to me though, that by feeding deer, crop damage would be reduced. It also seems to me that baiting would only increase the demand for their product - corn, beets, etc.
Why such a strong stand against baiting?

G

·
My opinion is that baiting is like shooting ducks in a barrel, give the deer a chance and not shoot them over bait. Yes many hunt over bait, but being able to do so does not prevent crop damage. If deer have a good supply of food they avoid baiting anyway. Being in the right place by scouting and finding there routes to and from bedding area's to the food supply is the best way to hunt. I have been hunting for 56 years and have yet to bait, and I might add very successful.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I also feel baiting is unwise, unethical and unnecessary. The main reason I believe Farm Bureau would be against it so strongly is that it supports an artificially high deer population. This leads to MORE crop damage as the population increases year over year as baiting/feeding continues. It also leads to more car/deer accidents, more disease, and the various other negative impacts on people and deer that an overpopulation causes.

I also believe that a hunter who dedicates him or herself to learning about the prey we seek, its biological needs, defense mechanisms, patterns and behaviors could not accept the concept of hunting over bait. To this hunter, the thrill is in the hunt, not just the slaughter. I have taken five deer this year, and my wife, in her first year of hunting, has taken two so far. None of these deer were taken over bait. Three were taken using a doe decoy. If you want to see more deer and have more of them within shooting range, try a decoy, try calling, try rattling, try more scouting, try more reading, become a student of the game we all love, but don't put out a pile of food and sit and hope the deer smell the candy and come in. If the deer are there anyway, figure out what they do, when, why and where. Be there when they are, and make a clean, humane kill.

I want to see hunting grow and thrive in our country, but we can only have this happen if we show the proper respect for the animal we all enjoy pursuing.

Good Hunting,
Byron

[This message has been edited by Byron (edited 12-10-2000).]

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Farm Bureau's arguement is the TB issue. It's not about crop damage. If you want to shut down the dairy and beef farmers, TB is the way to do it. When you sell cattle, TB is checked so the buyers existing herd is not infected. It's a very real threat to cattle, along with the deer herd.

·
592 Posts
What do ya say about outlawing High-power rifles and Scopes, And lets not forget compound Bows, carbon arrows or the steel broadheads with razor inserts, Let really give the deer a chance, how about rocks and spears, ya thats the only sporting way to do it, what do ya think, :rolleyes:. Heaven forbid I almost forgot, No more Gore-Tex, Looks like where back in Buckskin boys and girls. :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe we should go back.

NOOOOO. I like my Rem 30-06 and Bear bow.

I was being sarcastic when I created my handle.

signed...

------------------
Sticks and Rocks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, I dont care what side of the baiting issue you are on, 5 gallons of bait or less is not going to spread TB. Two or three deer will eat up 5 gallons of shelled corn in one night and more than likely it will be deer that have been feeding together all summer long. I have yet to see that amount of bait bring in a huge herd. Actually, I have yet to see that amount of bait bring deer in during the day at all. I find that it is more usefull as a way of seeing when or if the deer are using a trail than as a way of luring deer in to shoot.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
As long as its legal, and you want to bait then knock yourself out. And if you don't bait then fine but I'm geting tired of hearing about it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I didn't say anything about giving the deer more of a chance. There is a big difference between the tools we use to make a quick, clean and humane kill and the methods used to get within the effective range of these tools. I agree, if it's legal, knock yourself out, but understand that you are giving up part of the essence of the sport when you throw out unnatural food and hunt deer over it. If it's just being used to "check trail usage", then why do most baiters hunt directly over it? It's a crutch. Almost everywhere deer walk, they leave tracks and droppings. Learn to read these natural signs, and bait isn't needed to check trails. Especially in broken/mixed cover, there are discernable patterns deer follow, and by studying them and being a student of the sport, there is no legitimate need to bait. It is each of our responsibility to be respectful of the deer we hunt and be respectable hunters in general.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I agree watercop, I would like to see more joyful posts about good times, the great things hunters do for conservation. Let the anti's read about that. After all, it's the Christmas Season. I admit, I'm like a little kid during Christmas.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I always tire of reading "Be careful what we say here on the forum..... the Anti's are watching, you know."

Yeah-right.

How many readers here frequent the Anit-hunting talk-forums and web-sites?

Thats what I thought.

G

·
I have been to PETA and others to find outwhat arguments they have against us. Study the opposition and you will be better prepared to answer.

------------------
pj

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
To all:

You are right!

That doesn't necessarily make the other guy wrong.

A pure sportsman should never bait and still call himself a pure sportsman. A meat hunter knows that he is one, and if he wants to hunt over legal bait, a pure sportsman should not be lecturing him.

If the speed limit is 75 and it is still legal to drive 65, and I am more comfortable driving 65 I should do so. That doesn't give me a right or even a good excuse to lecture those driving 75.

By the way I don't bait because I don't have a need to. If I felt a need, I would do so according to law. That's no business of any of you pure sportsmen out there.

------------------
Sarge

Live your conscience. Leave others to theirs.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 12-11-2000).]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just a few thoughts folks.
If the deer are the problem,why is it called BOVINE tuberculosis,and not ungulate Tuberculosis.Where did the bovine TB originate to get into the deer herd?
Is ther any governmental agency spoiling to take legal action against those who have infected OUR deer herd with Bovine TB?
Are we protecting the cattle or the deer?
Deer nose each other quite often,and Bovine TB has been passed from doe to fawn through milk for quite a while now.
How does the ban on baiting protect cattle?
Is there a direct link between tb infected deer and identified cattle?
In the end,if this all gets cleared up will we ever be free of a TB threat from unscrupulous cattlemen who sneak in infected cattle now and again?
Those deer in the infected area are a STATE resource that belongs to all of us,and I don't remember paying a lisc. fee to support cattle,or their owners.
This whole thing is fuzzy from all sides to me,and the more I read,and listen,the more contradictory each side gets,and the only ones with a clear agenda is Farm bureau.
If baiting is a cause,what is a deer yard?
Too many questions and no one telling the truth it seems.I just wish it would go away,and take the politics with it.Pat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys - chill out. I was just posting the question because I honestly did not know why they would be against baiting, not to start an argument about the issue of baiting. As far as I am concerned, you either like to use it, or you don't, but if you do that is your business. I know, if it were only that simple right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts